18th c. Chimneypiece with Reeded Pilasters and Carved Tablet

18th c. Chimneypiece with Reeded Pilasters and Carved Tablet

18th century United Kingdom

Offered by Chesney's

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A good late 18th century statuary marble chimneypiece with reeded pilasters and frieze panels. Flanking a finely carved centre tablet featuring an urn draped with bell husk swags and terminating beneath corner blocks carved with lidded urns.
The chimney piece was removed from Hembury Fort House, which is located in The Blackdown Hills, just north of Honiton, overlooking the village of Buckerell. The Hembury estate also includes the ancient Fort of Hembury, which gave its name following excavations of the fort in the 1930s to forms of Neolithic pottery, known as "Hembury".

The earliest owners of Hembury House were the Prodham family, followed by Whiting and Ashford families, before the estate was purchased by Admiral Samuel Graves in 1750. Records show that the house burned down in 1752 and was subsequently re-built by Graves in the form in which it exists today. The newly built house was re-named Hembury Fort House.

Graves was part of a remarkable naval dynasty, which included five admirals, and he served as Fleet Commander in North America in 1774. A statue to "Samuel Graves, Admiral of the White" survives in the 15th century church of St. Mary and St. Giles in the village of Buckerell.

Following the death of Samuel Graves in 1787 and the departure of his wife from the estate, the property passed to his nephew Admiral Richard Graves and it seems likely that the chimney piece was installed as part of a remodelling of the interior of the property during his period of ownership.
Height 1403.00 mm (55.24 inches)
Width 1626.00 mm (64.02 inches)
Stock Code

194 - 200 Battersea Park Road
SW11 4ND

Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2014
View Full Details