A pair of mid-18th century South German Rococo polychrome girandoles, each carved with high relief scrolls forming a pierced canopy at the top. The whole is surmounted by a polychrome foliate scroll and further enriched with entwining branches, flowers and buds. This pair of South German girandoles with their rich expressive Rococo carving are distinctive of a group of pieces associated with the oeuvre of a group of carvers, designers, and gilders working in the 1760s in and around Munich, and in particular at the Schloss Nymphemburg. Throughout the period white ground polychrome furniture and decorations found favour. The Emperor Maximillian III was Prince-elector and Duke of Bavaria from 1745-1777 and it is under his guidance and artistic philosophy that this taste found fruition. He founded the Nymphemburg porcelain factory, he was the patron of Francois de Cuvillies, the father of the Rococo style, from which porcelain were strongly influenced, that white porcelain which, harked back to Chinese Blanc de Chine, stylistically washed over into all forms of decorative arts and with this pair of girandoles we can clearly see the echoes of the Emperor's first passion. Condition: Very good, some areas of repainting. Germany, circa 1740.