A Display Cabinet by Collinson & Lock
A Display Cabinet by Collinson & Lock
A Display Cabinet by Collinson & Lock

COLLINSON & LOCK (worked from 1870-1897)

A Display Cabinet by Collinson & Lock

c. 1880 England

Offered by Butchoff

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Constructed in rosewood, with extensive and complex finely executed engraved ivory marquetry work in the Italianate Neo-renaissance manner, depicting putti, cornucopia, urns and sinuous foliates; rising from oblate bun feet supporting the arc-en-arbalette base, having four upright tapered columns dividing the triple panelled backboard, a single drawer in the centre frieze, bearing the maker’s stamp, ‘Collinson & Lock’, supporting the display case, the vertical stiles framing glazed and lockable doors enclosing a shelved interior; surmounted by an ogee shaped cornice.
Circa 1880
Excellent
The firm of Collinson & Lock, successors to John Herring, an upholsterer and cabinet maker of Fleet Street, est 1782, was established in London in the third quarter of the 19th century, firstly at their old master’s premises, and thereafter at the premises of the recently closed firm of Jackson and Graham. They quickly achieved both commercial success and a leading position in the field of design. In 1871 the firm issued an impressive illustrated catalogue of 'Artistic Furniture', with plates by J. Moyr Smith, assistant to Christopher Dresser, and in 1873 was trading from extensive newly built premises in St Bride Street, designed by T.E. Collcutt, who was retained as an advisor. E.W. Godwin was also employed, between 1872-1874.

The firm continued to produce very high quality items of furniture and soon began to experiment with new materials and designs, becoming especially renowned for their distinctive combinations of rosewood and ivory and their intricate Italianate arabesques, chimeric figures and scrolling foliage. This form of decoration clearly points to the involvement of Stephen Webb, Collinson & Lock’s chief designer who was later appointed Professor of Sculpture at the Royal College of Art. The company was merged with Gillows in 1897, just prior to their own merger with S.J. Waring of Liverpool.
Dimensions
Height 145.00 cm (57.09 inches)
Width 141.00 cm (55.51 inches)
Depth 41.00 cm (16.14 inches)
Stock Code
8588
Medium
Rosewood, ivory
Butchoff

Butchoff
154 Kensington Church Street
London
W8 4BN

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details