To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "A George II white and gold carved console table Attributed to Benjamin Goodison"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
carved frieze, on double ‘C’ scroll acanthus, paterae and carved scaley legs, the reverse
carved with trailing bellflowers, on scroll feet. Lions mask and swags on either side
West Harling formerly consisted of several small manors, which in the time of William the
Conqueror, were held as a berewic of the capital manor of Kenninghall by the Albinis and
their successors, the de Angerville family. About 1564, it was sold to Basingbourne Gawdy
Esq, of Mendham, in Suffolk ( 1532 – 1590 ) and by descent until the end of the male line
with Sir Basingbourn Gawdy Gawdy, 3rd Baronet (d. 1723 ) who left the estate to his three
nieces and they conveyed the whole estate to Joshua Draper, Esq who demolished it in
1725. He then began building a new house and sold it to Richard Gipps, Esq who bought
the estate in 1736. Thence by descent to Nicholas William Ridley-Colborne, 1st Baron
Colborne (1779 – 1854 ) who succeeded to the estate of his maternal Uncle, including
West Harling, and assumed the name Colborne. Sir George Edmund Nugent, 2nd Bt.
(1802 – 1892 ), who in 1830, had married the second daughter of the 1st Baron Colborne,
The Hon. Maria Charlotte Ridley-Colborne ( d 1883 ) and inherited the West Harling
estate. Thence by descent through the Nugent family. In 1929 it was removed from West
Harling Hall, Norfolk before the Hall was demolished and was offered for sale as Lot 98 in
the Puttick and Simpson sale of the contents but failed to reach its reserve and so remained
in the possession of the Nugent family.
A number of pieces of Kentian furniture were included in the West Harling sale in 1929
including Lot 99 ‘ A William Kent mahogany cabinet’. Similarly in the sale of the original
and valuable fixtures and fittings of West Harling Hall held on the premises July 8th and
9th 1931 there were William Kent mantelpieces, overmantels, carved doors and overdoors.
Although there is no documentary evidence to link Kent with West Harling, he did
however work for the Duke of Grafton at Euston Hall only a few miles from West Harling.
Jourdain, p. 138. Fig 38. From Windsor Castle.
|Height||87.00 cm||(34.25 inches)|
|Width||153.00 cm||(60.24 inches)|
|Depth||80.00 cm||(31.50 inches)|