To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "A GEORGE III GILTWOOD MIRROR"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The mirror closely relates to the work of the cabinetmaker John Cobb, who worked in partnership with William Vile, and the two undertook a number important commissions including King George III and Queen Charlotte. Cobb’s work epitomized the neo-classical taste for restrained silhouettes, while he also incorporated decorative embellishments in the form of C-scrolls, acanthus leaves, and other classic design elements that created a remarkably light and delicate effect to the overall appearance of his work. The lightness is apparent in the use of the elongated C- and S-scrolls framing this simple rectangular plated mirror. The rather curious presence of the hanging acanthus decoration is repeated in a pair of giltwood pier glasses likely supplied by Cobb to John, 2nd Baron Monson for Broxbournebury, Hertfordshire. This pair of mirror similarly features a rectangular mirror plate embellished with elongated, stylised C-scrolls.
This mirror also bears resemblance to the work of William France and John Bradburn, who carried out work for Cobb and Vile. Like their employers, France and Bradburn were highly successful in their own right with a number of prominent patrons, including Sir Lawrence Dundas at 19 Arlington St and Moor Park, the 6th Earl of Coventry at Croome Court, the 1st Duke of Northumberland at Syon House, and the 1st Earl of Mansfield at Kenwood House. The distinctive use of the elegantly formed anthemion crowning the mirror is similar to the motif used on the pair of substantial girandoles created for Sir Lawrence Dundas at 19 Arlington Street.
Chicheley Hall was built between 1719 and 1723 under the supervision of John Chester, fourth baronet, and his second wife Frances Skrimshire. This house, designed by the architect Francis Smith of Warwick, replaced the original 1550 manor building by Anthony Cave. In the construction of the house, Smith recycled some material of the old building, including a beam over the fireplace that features a carved inscription from the 16th century.
The overall aesthetic of Smith’s design reflects the influence of Palladian ideals coupled with interesting and unusual Baroque elements. The interior is in the manner of William Kent and features some of the finest woodcarving and plasterwork of its time. The paneled Great Hall creates a staggering impression upon arrival with its double height and ceiling showing Herse and Her Sisters Sacrificing to Flora painted by William Kent. The formal gardens were laid out by George London and Henry Wise, who were also responsible for the royal gardens at Hampton Court.
John Chester died in 1726, and by 1755, after a quick succession of ownership within the Chester family, Chicheley became the property of Charles Bagot, who adopted the name Chester and remained at Chicheley with his large family of 12 children until his death in 1793.
In 1952, 2nd Earl Beatty purchased the hall and put great care into restoring the interiors with designer Felix Harbord. Harbord sought to recreate the classic 18th century interiors through the use of light colours and period furnishings. In 2009, Chicheley Hall was purchased by the Royal Society.
|Height||200.00 cm||(78.74 inches)|
|Width||95.00 cm||(37.40 inches)|
Mackinnon - Fine Furniture
5 Ryder Street
other times by appointment