Conceived in the rococo manner, the gilt bronze being excellently cast and planished, the suite consisting of a central two handled baluster form vase, two similar and smaller, and a pair of ewers, marked to the underside with the makers mark.
Elkington and Company, formed by the brothers George and Henry, was founded in the 1830’s, after perfecting their newly patented method of electro plating in gold and silver, for which their first patent was granted in 1840. They exhibited at the European and British nineteenth century Great Exhibitions, and were given permission by Queen Victoria in 1868 to copy the collection of Royal Plate. Royal warrants were granted to them by, inter alia, Queen Victoria, Edward VIIth, Queen Alexandra, and George Vth, and various European heads of states. In the early twentieth century, they supplied flatware to the White Star Line, whose ships included the Titanic.