To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "A Highly Important Three Piece Centrepiece Garniture"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Height: the pair 53 cm, 20.8in; the single 80 cm, 31.4in
Weight: 42 811 g, 376oz 8dwt
Sale of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Waterford, Sotheby's London, 13 October 1960, lot 129 (1,650 pounds awarded to T. Lumley) Thomas Lumley Ltd
The Earls of Talbot and Ingestre Hall:
The arms are those borne by Talbot Chetwynd and Chetwynd Lambart for Charles, 2nd Earl Talbot of Hensol (1777-1849). He was born and baptized in the parish of St. George's in Hanover Square on25th April 1777. He became Viscount Ingestre in 1784, he took the title of Count on the death of his father in May 1793, before entering Christ Church College Oxford the following year. After college, he joined the embassy of Lord Whitworth in Russia as a voluntary attaché. On his return to England, he married on 28th August 1800 at St George Hanover Square to Frances Thomasine (1782-1819), eldest daughter of Charles Lambart of Beau Park, County Meath in Ireland, and sister of James, 1 st Baron Sherborne. Their marriage lasted nineteen years. Frances died in labour but left a daughter and a son, Henry John Chetwynd successor as 3 rdEarl of Talbot, also holding the title of 18 th Earl of Shrewsbury from 1856. In order to prevent a possible Napoleonic invasion, Talbot was involved in raising an army of volunteers in Staffordshire. Appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1817 until 1821, which is presumably why this service was commissioned. He was also Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire from 1812 and, throughout his life was a huge supporter of agriculture. On 10th January 1849, he died at the age of 72 years at Ingestre Hall where he is buried.
Before becoming the official home of the Earls of Shrewsbury and Talbot in the eighteenth century, Ingestre Hall was built in 1613 on the foundations of an ancient manor house for Sir Walter Chetwynd. Located near Stafford in Staffordshire, its brick facade incorporates several Renaissance influences, including Jacobian. When the grand-son of Walter, the first Viscount Chetwynd, inherited the estate at the end of the 17 th century, he made some changes. It was not until 19 th century that more work was undertaken by the architect John Nash at the request of the 2 nd Earl of Talbot. Desiring more sumptuous interiors, the count did not only employ the architect of the king but also his cabinetmaker and his goldsmith. So Marsh and Tatham's fine furnishings were made for the dining room including a suite of six wine coolers by Paul Storr and this wonderful table garniture. Being as complete as this suite is ranks it amongst the most important surviving testimonies of Regency silverware.
The Times, 'The saleroom', 14 October 1960, p. 7.
Art in Industry: The Silver of Paul Storr, Cambridge, 2015, p.112
Koopman Rare Art
Ground Floor Entrance
London Silver Vaults