A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece
A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece
A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece
A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece
A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece
A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece

WILLIAM ELLIOTT, LONDON (worked 1795-1845)

A Monumental George IV Six-Branch Candelabrum Centrepiece

1822 United Kingdom

Offered by Koopman Rare Art

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
The circular base on three foliage and shell cast feet, the foliage stem supported on cast heraldic lion and horse with cast palm tree above, surrounded by military trophies and two shields, each engraved with a coat-of-arms with duke’s coronet above with two tiers of three reeded and foliate branches each terminating in a foliate cast socket with detachable plain nozzle, with central foliage and flower finial, the base engraved with presentation inscriptions and four crests. Marked on base, stem, some military trophies, branches, sockets and nozzles. Stamped ‘Hamlet Goldsmiths to His Majesty the Duke of York & Royal Family’
The arms are those of Richard, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1776-1839) The inscription reads ‘ To His Grace Richard Duke of Buckingham and Chandos K.G Lord Lieutenant, Custos Rotulorum and Colonel of the Yeomanry Forces of the County of Buckingham This piece of plate is presented by the Officers, Non Commissioned Officers & Privates of the 2nd or Hussar Regiment of Bucks Yeoman Cavalry as a lasting memorial of their high respect and affectionate attachment and as a tribute of their gratitude for his constant and zealous endeavours to promote the welfare and prosperity of the Regiment 1823’
Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos KG, PC (20 March 1776 – 17 January 1839), styled Earl Temple from 1784 to 1813 and known as The Marquess of Buckingham from 1813 to 1822, was a British landowner and politician.Born Richard Temple-Nugent-Grenville, he was the eldest son of George Nugent-Temple-Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham, son of George Grenville, Prime Minister of Great Britain. His mother was Lady Mary Nugent, daughter of Robert Nugent, 1st Earl Nugent. Thomas Grenville and Lord Grenville were his uncles. He was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, where he matriculated in 1791. Buckingham was elected Member of Parliament for Buckinghamshire in 1797.] In 1806 he was made a Privy Counsellor and appointed Vice-President of the Board of Trade and Joint Paymaster of the Forces in the Ministry of All the Talents headed by his uncle, Lord Grenville. He retained these posts until the fall of the Grenville administration in 1807. He left the House of Commons in 1813 when he succeeded his father in the marquessate. In 1820 he was appointed a Knight of the Garter. In 1822 he was further honoured when he was made Earl Temple of Stowe, with remainder to his granddaughter Anne Eliza Mary, and Marquess of Chandos and Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, with normal remainder to heirs male. He returned to ministerial office in July 1830 when he was made Lord Steward of the Household, but only held the post for a short while. Apart from his political career he was also Lord-Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire from 1813 to 1839.
Buckingham also owned a plantation in Jamaica and 10,482 acres (42.42 km2) in Britain, including thirty-eight properties in the Old Nichol.
In April 1796, aged 20, Buckingham married the Lady Anne Brydges (died 1836), daughter, only adult child and sole heir of the late James Brydges, 3rd Duke of Chandos. Accordingly, Nugent-Temple-Grenville added Brydges and Chandos to their family names (and those of their children) by royal licence of 15 November 1799; and their full family name became the remarkable quintuple-barreled Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville. He died in January 1839, aged 62, and was succeeded by his son, Richard.
Excellent
Presented by Colonel Pigot of the 2nd Regiment of Bucks of Hussar Yeomanry at the New Inn, Stowe on Tuesday 10 June 1823 to Richard 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1776-1839) and presumably by descent to his son, Richard 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1797-1861) and by descent to his son Richard 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1823-1889) and by descent to his daughter Mary, Lady Kinloss (1852-1944) and by descent to her son, The Hon. Thomas Morgan-Grenville (1891-1965) of Wooton House, Wooton, Bedfordshire, Col The Hon. Thomas Morgan-Grenville D.S.O., O.B.E. M.C., Christies London, 30 June 1954, lot 35. Anonymous sale; Christies London, 6 December 1989, lot 128.
Dimensions
Height 76.00 cm (29.92 inches)
Weight 12805.00g (411.74oz t)
Stock Code
22765.2
Medium
Silver-Gilt
Koopman Rare Art

Koopman Rare Art
Ground Floor Entrance
London Silver Vaults
53/64 Chancery Lane
London
WC2A 1QS
England

Contact Details
+44 (0)20-7242 7624
-
-
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details