A PAIR OF GEORGE III HAREWOOD SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO MAYHEW AND INCE (4487911)
A PAIR OF GEORGE III HAREWOOD SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO MAYHEW AND INCE (4487911)
A PAIR OF GEORGE III HAREWOOD SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO MAYHEW AND INCE (4487911)
A PAIR OF GEORGE III HAREWOOD SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO MAYHEW AND INCE (4487911)

A PAIR OF GEORGE III HAREWOOD SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO MAYHEW AND INCE (4487911)

c. 1775 England

Offered by Ronald Phillips Ltd

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A superb pair of late 18th century side tables having harewood veneered tops with tulipwood crossbanding and ebony and boxwood stringing inlaid with swags of engraved husks and classical urns centred by a rosette. The edge inlaid with a guilloche and floral border above two drawers inlaid in holly to simulate fluting, with central framed tablets with original circular ormolu handles. Standing on five oval paterae headed and husk decorated square tapering legs with a galleried shelf terminating on paterae inlaid block feet.

Note: This pair of side tables is decorated in the Etruscan style fashioned by designers and architects such as Robert and James Adam in the third quarter of the 18th century. This fashion was inspired by Italy and ancient Greece. The use of stained woods like harewood, originally bright green coloured sycamore, together with the fine engraving of the inlay, as well as the case of high quality ormolu metal work, support the attribution to the eminent furniture workshop of Mayhew and Ince, who worked closely together with designers such as Adam. A dressing table from the Mulliner collection with very similar inlay and choice of woods, probably executed by Mayhew and Ince, was made to order for the Prince of Wales, later George IV, and intended as a gift to the Comte d’Artois, brother of French King Louis XVI, though it was never delivered to France.

Price: £100,000 +

Lord Revelstoke;
Purchased circa 1925 by Moss Harris who subsequently sold them separately;
One with Lenygons until December 1945;
The other with Gerald Kerin until 1951.



H. H. Mulliner, ‘The Decorative Arts of England 1660-1780’, 1923, fig 25.
H. Hayward and E. Till, 'Furniture Discovery at Burghley', Country Life, 7 June 1973, p. 1607, figs. 8 and 9.
Dimensions
Height 111.50 cm (43.90 inches)
Width 114.00 cm (44.88 inches)
Depth 43.50 cm (17.13 inches)
Ronald Phillips Ltd

Ronald Phillips Ltd
26 Bruton Street
London
W1J 6QL
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details