A PAIR OF GEORGE III PERIOD MARQUETRY COMMODES OF BOMBE FORM
A PAIR OF GEORGE III PERIOD MARQUETRY COMMODES OF BOMBE FORM

Attributed to MAYHEW AND INCE (worked c.1770-1810)

A PAIR OF GEORGE III PERIOD MARQUETRY COMMODES OF BOMBE FORM

c. 1780 England

Offered by Godson & Coles

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
The marble tops with moulded edge above a pair of doors veneered in quartered padouk with oval panels of harewood with finely detailed marquetry of musical instruments and hunting trophies suspended from ribbons and swags of husks; the sides similarly decorated with panels of floral marquetry within oval panels; the serpentine apron terminating in ormulu mounted feet

Height: 36 ¼ in (cm)
Width: 43 in (cm)
Depth: 23 in (cm)

This pair of serpentined ormulu mounted and marble-topped cabinets with their inlaid oval medallions are designed in the 1770s ‘antique’ style after the French manner. Floral bouquets decorate the side medallions while flower-wreathed pastoral trophies are suspended within ribbon-tied festoons of laurel. A trophy of musical instruments is accompanied by a love-trophy of Cupid’s weapons on one cabinet, while its companion features sporting weapons derived from Attributs de Chasse, such as P. F. Tardieu engraved after J.-C. de la Fosse (d. 1789; see G. de Bellaigue, ‘18th Century French Furniture and its debt to the Engraver’, Apollo, January 1963, p. 18, fig. 6).

Very similar ribbon-tied musical trophies appear on a commode in the Victoria and Albert Museum (W.88-1924) and would probably have been based on the same contemporary printed designs; as well as on the Chesterfield Commode – attributed to Mayhew and Ince and almost certainly supplied to Philip Stanhope, 5th Earl of Chesterfield K.G. (1755-1815) for Chesterfield House, London. A trophy of garden implements in a similar style appears on a commode formerly in the Mount Trust collection, as well as on the commode from the collection of the Earls of Shaftesbury at St. Giles’s House, now in the Metropolitan Museum, New York, and illustrated in A. Coleridge, Chippendale Furniture, London, 1968, pl. 48.

The engraved foliate clasps which ornament the corners of each oval panel also appear to be a motif employed by Mayhew & Ince. They appear, along with foliate tendrils similar to those on the sides of this pair of commodes, at the front corners of the top of the serpentine commodes previously in the collections of Sir Anthony de Rothschild at Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, Viscount Leverhulme at the Hill, Hampstead, and latterly Sir Michael which has been attributed to Mayhew and Ince.

Provenance:
Wateringbury Place, Kent
Stock Code
REF704
Godson & Coles

Godson & Coles
92 Fulham Road
London
SW3 6HR
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2009
Members of
View Full Details