The distinctive and elaborate ornament to the table is exquisitely carved, with detachable bun feet and is typical of furniture designed and produced by the Nicholson’s. Peter Nicholson (1765-1844) trained as a cabinet maker in Edinburgh before moving to London at the age of twenty-three, later practicing as an architect and writing many text books on carpentry, building, perspective and mathematics. His son Michael Angelo (c.1796-1842) worked with his father and in 1826 they collaborated to produce a much acclaimed book, ‘The Practical Cabinet Maker’ which illustrated the rich profusion of naturalistic leaf carving blended with classical motif, so typical of their work and richly demonstrated by this very fine table.
Tabley House, Knutsford, Cheshire. Then by descent to Davenport House in Shropshire. Formerly the property of Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bt., later Lord de Tabley. A great collector, he was the first serious patron of British paintings and assembled a splendid collection at Tabley and his London House during the first period of the 19th century.