A rare 17th century wrought iron screen
A rare 17th century wrought iron screen
A rare 17th century wrought iron screen
A rare 17th century wrought iron screen
A rare 17th century wrought iron screen

A rare 17th century wrought iron screen

c. 1690 German

Offered by Nicholas Gifford-Mead

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A rare 17th century German wrought iron screen from Nuremburg.

The panels filled with a series of intricate and interlaced geometrical patterns combined with leafy fronds and foliage. The two central panels surmounted by an elaborate crest of scrolling leafy tendrils and stylised winged cherubs flanked by foliated and spiral pinnacles.

In the late 19th century the screen was brought back from Nuremberg by the Reverend William Herbert Seddon who donated it to Painswick Church, (Painswick ,Gloucester) in 1890*. It remained in use as the chancel screen until repairs to the church necessitated its removal in the 1940s.

This screen demonstrates, in the complexity of the workmanship, the outstanding technical skill of the Nuremburg blacksmith responsible for its execution. From medieval times up until the 19th century Nuremburg was one of the most important centres in Germany for the production of metalwork – facilitated by the easy access to iron ore in the surrounding area. Examples of metalwork from this region are on display in the German National Museum, Nuremburg and in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

*Hyett, Francis A’Glimpses of the History of Painswick’ pp 40-41 1928
Restored
Dimensions
Height 220.00 cm (86.61 inches)
Width 546.00 cm (214.96 inches)
Stock Code
3597
Medium
Wrought iron
Nicholas Gifford-Mead

Nicholas Gifford-Mead
PO Box 71421
London
SW6 9GW
England

+44 (0)20-7736 0808
+44 (0)7768 233128
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
Member Since 2011
Members of
View Full Details