A Scottish oval School Prize Medal, maker's mark only three times, awarded to William Lang of Selkirk School for Greek writing in 1836. The reverse is engraved 'Numisma Oliverianum' and the National Museum of Scotland [000-100-102-967-C] has a circular medal of 1827 awarded to Elizabeth MacKenzie for English Composition, adjudged 'by the Trustees to the late Mr. Oliver'. The museum example is marked by James Home, Edinburgh. M.E. Grimshaw, in her booklet 'Silver Medals from Scottish and Irish Schools before 1872', has the following paragraph: 'The photograph of an interesting medal from Selkirk appears with the Watts collection. It is an oval medal (81) with a simple frame awarded for Greek to William Strachan, Scholae Selcherkensis Alumno. It bears Edinburgh hallmarks with the date letter for 1832 and, what makes it of particular interest, the maker's mark of WM with a crown above that we have seen on the Murray gold medal (1) from the Edinburgh High School and that we have identified as the mark of William Marshall. The school from which this medal came would seem to be the Latin (Grammar) or Parochial School of Selkirk built according to the Commissioners, in 1792 and later, in 1863, put together with the English or Burgh School...' The Schools 'were managed jointly by the magistrates and the landward heritors.'
The mark on this prize medal, 'WM', has no crown above but is clearly also William Marshall's mark.
Good. Uncleaned and toned.