A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows
A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows
A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows
A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows
A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows
A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs  by Gillows

GILLOWS OF LANCASTER & LONDON (worked 1730-1840)

A Set of Four George III Period 'Clifton' Satinwood Elbow Chairs by Gillows

c. 1790 England

Offered by Windsor House Antiques Ltd

£9,500 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A set of four George III period 'Clifton' satinwood elbow chairs. Attributed to Gillows of Lancaster. The back panels with quarter quartered sunburst detail and ebony line inlay with tapering supports terminating in spade feet. With restorations.

Clifton pattern (as made for John Clifton of Lytham Hill 1796) During the second half of the 1790's satinwood chairs with arms became very fashionable, especially for drawing rooms. In November 1796 Mr Clifton of Lytham Hall, Lancashire ordered a set of chairs in satinwood as per literature reference below.
Robert Gillow (2 August 1704–1772) was an English furniture manufacturer.
Born in Singleton, Lancashire he served an apprenticeship as a joiner and cabinet maker. He joined with a family of traders called Sattersthwaite and sailed with them to the West Indies as a ships carpenter. In Jamaica he became interested in mahogany and brought samples of the wood back to Lancaster in 1720. This may have been the first mahogany to be imported to England. He married Agnes Fell in 1729 in Lancaster.
He founded the luxury furniture and furnishings firm Gillow of Lancashire in 1730. During the 1730s he began to exploit the lucrative West Indies trade exporting mahogany furniture and importing rum and sugar, in addition to fitting out ships cabins and doing finishing work in construction. The firm rapidly established a reputation for supplying high quality furniture and furnishings to the richest families in the country. They also had a London workshop in Thames Street. In 1764 a permanent London branch of Gillow's was established at 176 Oxford Road, now Oxford Street, by Robert's son, Thomas Robert Gillow (1745–1793), and William Taylor. Following Robert's retirement in 1769, the business was continued by his two sons, Richard (1734–1811) and Thomas Robert (his other children were Alice, Edward and John).[2] Richard Gillow was an architect of some note, and he is credited with originating the telescopic dining-table and the first English billiard-table.
Gillows of Lancaster and London..1730-1840 by Susan E Stuart Volume 1..page 196 Plate 168 Satinwood chair Clifton's pattern about 1797 from a private collection

For over a century, the firm was known for its luxury furniture and furnishings. During the final years of the 19th century the company ran into financial difficulty and from 1897 began a loose financial arrangement with Waring of Liverpool, an arrangement legally ratified by the establishment of Waring & Gillow in 1903.
Dimensions
Height 34.00 inch (86.36 cm)
Width 21.00 inch (53.34 cm)
Depth 18.00 inch (45.72 cm)
Stock Code
952
Windsor House Antiques Ltd

Windsor House Antiques Ltd
Barnwell Manor
Barnwell
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire
PE8 5PJ

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2013
Members of
View Full Details