This striking full size (12ft) Victorian table was made for James Blyth, 1st Baron Blyth (1841-1925) for 33 Portland Place, London. It is veneered in ebony with openwork gilt-wood panels applied to the sides and boldly carved and gilded acanthus leaf scrolls on the corners. The panels are filled with small and large circular guilloche enclosing flower-heads with ebony centres and the lower borders are bright cut with fans of trefoils. The fluting on the tapering legs are gilded as are the acanthus leaf caps on the feet. Bearing a maker’s label Cox & Yeman, Billiard Table Manufacturers, 209A Brompton Road, London. English, circa 1895.
Cushions and cloth restored to professional playing standard
James Blyth, Ist Baron Blyth, 1841-1925 was a party loving and philanthropic millionaire who created his wealth by founding the famous gin distillers, W A Gilbey & sons. In 1893 he bought No 33 Portland Place, a Robert Adam house built in 1775 for Lord Henry Wyndham. A man of great energy and innovation he carried out numerous improvements to the property including ‘a remarkable Victorian extension, which included a stained glass billiard room. He also introduced some ingenious innovations such as a hydraulic wall, which separated the dining room from the music room. The ambitious design, which still exists in its original form, was powered by a water pump system concealed in the basement.’ It is presumed that the stained-glass billiard room was built to house this impressive table.
The Only known example of a gilded English Billiard table
Superb craftsmanship and engineering combined with outlandish design and Va Va Voom!