To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "A TRIBUTE TO THE ARCHITECTURE OF ANCIENT ROME, Charles Robert Cockerell"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Cockerell's understanding of urban design, indebted to Piranesi, is seen in related drawings now in the British Architectural Library Drawings Collection, especially 'The reconstruction of Athens in the time of the Antonines' (c.1819). A pair to the present drawing, it similarly concentrates on buildings erected at a time when, as Gibbon memorably put it, 'in the second century of the Christian era, the Empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilized portion of mankind.' (Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, 1776).
Cockerell's drawing was exhibited as 'An Idea of a Reconstruction of the Capital and Forum of Rome, from an elevated point between the Pallatine (sic) Hill and the Temple of Antoine (sic) and Faustina from the existing remains, the authorities of ancient writers and the descriptions of Piranesi, Nardini (Roma Antica (1666), Venuti (Accurata, e succinta descrizione topografica delle antichite di Roma (1763) ), and others.' To these 'modern' sources Cockerell appends a hand-written quotation from the Pharsalia of Lucan (39-65AD) recording the battle between Caesar and Pompey.
This view depicts the western half of the Forum of the 2nd century AD. Conjectural restorations of vanished buildings include the Arch of Fabianus (121BC) at right angles to the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina of 141 AD (extreme right), now S. Lorenzo in Miranda.
In sharp perspective (centre left) is the vanished Arch of Tiberius, on twin peaks (background) are the Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus ( right), and, following Nardini's account, the ancient temple of Jupiter Feretrius ( left). On the Palatine Hill (extreme left) is the later Palace of the Caesars with an arched loggia given a Quattrocento flavour. To the right, he includes the Arch of Septimius Severus (not built until 203AD). The largest temple (left), is that of Castor and Pollux (or Jupiter Stator) rebuilt 7BC-6AD.
The varied grouping enlivened with belvederes, loggias, and a single palm tree, exemplifies Cockerell's remarkable mastery of Picturesque composition.
|Height||584.00 mm||(22.99 inches)|
|Width||864.00 mm||(34.02 inches)|