The Jug stands on a stepped circular pedestal foot which is decorated with reeding. The bellied main body is plain in design and rises to a reeded rim. The slightly domed hinged cover terminates in a ball finial and the fruitwood handle is attached to the silver main body with acanthus spear mouldings. The front of the main body is engraved with a contemporary Armorial, with Crest above and Motto below, all surrounded by an unusual bright cut oval cartouche. The Jug is in excellent condition and is fully marked on the foot and with the sterling mark on the cover. The Arms are those of the Greg family and they impale Hibbert, for Thomas Greg of Coles Park, County Herts, 1752-1832 and his wife Margaret, daughter of Robert Hibbert of Birtles Hall, co. Cheshire. They married in 1775 and Margaret died in 1808. Thomas was a leading marine insurance broker at Lloyds, in the later 18th century, and the firm was highly successful. The Greg's went from Scotland to Northern Ireland where they became successful linen merchants, then came to Cheshire where they built up a large cotton business. They all produced almost innumerable sons, most of whom seemed to have established themselves on various landed estates. This is documented in "From Smuggling to Cotton Kings - The Greg Story", by Michael James. The National Trust now own the Styal Estate and Quarry Bank Mill, which was the Greg manufacturing centre. The Hibbert family was one of the greatest sugar producing families in Jamaica.