A view of Genoa from the East with the Lanterna and the Church of S. Maria Assunta di Carignano in the distance and the Santuario di Nostra Signora del Monte to the right

LOUIS-AUGUST LAPITO (1803-1874)

A view of Genoa from the East with the Lanterna and the Church of S. Maria Assunta di Carignano in the distance and the Santuario di Nostra Signora del Monte to the right

1803 to 1874 FRANCE

Offered by P & D Colnaghi & Co Ltd

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
This magnificent view is one of three paintings exhibited by Lapito in the Paris Salon of 1863. Although Italy was always a popular destination for vedutisti in the eighteenth and ninteenth centuries, views of Genoa are rare compared to those of Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples. Taken from a viewpoint to the east of the city, the Colnaghi painting shows, to the right, the Santuario di Nostra Signora del Monte, a Franciscan convent dedicated to the Virgin erected in the seventeenth century on the site of a much earlier building. In the distance can be seen the famous Lanterna, a lighthouse 77 metres high built in the sixteenth century on the site of an earlier tower erected in 1128. Christopher Columbus’s uncle was one of the early lighthouse keepers. To the left of it is the dome of the imposing basilica of S. Maria Assunta di Carignano, designed in 1552 by the Genoese architect Galeazzo Alessi. Lapito bathes the view with limpid Mediterranean light, balancing the grand sweep of the composition with a wealth of anecdotal detail, from the peasants gathering grapes in the vineyard to the cart turning a sharp corner down the road on the right.

Aged 15, Lapito entered the atelier of Louis-Etienne Watelet, before continuing his training under François-Joseph Heim. Like many of his contemporaries, he had a Wanderjahr in Italy in 1826, after which he became an indefatigable traveller. He visited Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Italy and Corsica, as well as rural France, painting numerous watercolour views and oil sketches on which his larger oil paintings were based. During the 1840’s Lapito increasingly allied himself with the naturalistic school of landscape painting, and became a member of the group of classically-trained French nineteenth-century landscape painters, such as Corot, who sought to regenerate historical landscape painting through the attentive study of nature. In 1843 he exhibited with the Maîtres Vivants in Holland and painted landscapes near Fontainebleau, home of the Barbizon School. Lapito was a prolific artist exhibiting regularly at the Paris Salon from 1827 to 1870. He won a first class medal in the Salon of 1835 and his official success was crowned with the award of the Légion d’honneur in 1837. A number of his pictures were acquired by the French State and are now in museums in Menton, Valence, and Villefranche-sur-Saone.


Paris, Salon, 1863, no. 1093.
Dimensions
Height 67.00 cm (26.38 inches)
Width 130.00 cm (51.18 inches)
Medium
Oil on canvas, unlined
Signed/Inscribed
Signed and dated lower left: A. Lapito 1863
P & D Colnaghi & Co Ltd

P & D Colnaghi & Co Ltd
15 Old Bond Street
London
W1S 4AX
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2007
Members of
View Full Details