A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets
A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets
A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets
A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets
A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets

Attributed to JACKSON & GRAHAM (worked c.1836-c.1885)

A Wonderful Pair of Ebony Display Cabinets

c. 1875 England

Offered by Butchoff

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
97
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
A Wonderful Pair of Display Cabinets Firmly Attributed to Jackson & Graham of London

Constructed in ebony, with extensive highly detailed ivory inlays and finely cast and chased bronze and brass dressings. Of rectangular gentle breakfront form, each rising from four inverted tapering square section collared legs, having conjoining incurved undertiers; over, shaped aprons, inlaid with foliate festoons frame the glazed vitrines, having central lockable doors, the locks being marked 'IMPd Patent Lever', are housed within vertically inlaid Corinthian capped columns; the stepped platforms conformingly inlaid. The fascia panels over have centrally situated carved busts of a male and female in the neo-renaissance manner.
Excellent
The firm of Jackson & Graham established in 1836 by Thomas Jackson and Peter Graham at 37 Oxford Street London, and for the next fifty years produced predominately high quality furniture and represented Britain at many of the international exhibitions, including Vienna 1873. Their clients included Queen Victoria, Napoleon III, the Grand Khedive at Cairo and the royal palace in Siam. They were particularly noted for their fine marquetry work, the use of Wedgwood plaques, ivory inlay, rare woods, and fine casting of bronze mounts. They engaged the leading designers of the period, inter alia, Owen Jones, Bruce Talbert, Alfred Lorimer and Eugene Prignot. In the mid 1850's the workforce was recorded as 250, and by 1875, the company was employing 600 workers. They were feted exhibitors at many of the Great Exhibitions of the Nineteenth century, and frequent prize winners. At the Paris International Exhibition of 1878, the furniture jury noted of them 'the workmanship is so perfect that even with the aid of a magnifying glass scarcely the slightest imperfection is to be found'. In 1885 the company was absorbed by Collinson and Lock, who continued their standard of excellence.

At the Great Exhibitions of London 1862, and Paris 1878, pieces were shown, with designs by Talbert, and Lorimer, having stylistic affiliations to our pieces.
Dimensions
Height 140.00 cm (55.12 inches)
Width 118.00 cm (46.46 inches)
Depth 42.00 cm (16.54 inches)
Stock Code
8849
Medium
Ebony, Ivory, Bronze, Brass, Glass
Butchoff

Butchoff
154 Kensington Church Street
London
W8 4BN

Contact Details
+44 (0)20 7221 8174
-
-
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details