Constructed in thuya wood, with sycamore, bois de violette, boxwood and various woods utilised in the inlaywork, with entensive, finely cast and chased gilt bronze mounts. Created in the fashionable Louis XVI revival manner, the legs, having squat inverted truncated cone bases, are castor shod, with cannellure centres rising from bronze stiff leaf cups, and having bronze octagonal collars cast with foliates, and bronze foliate swags, with a conjoining double knot stretcher, with a running pearl border in bronze, centralised around a bronze urn in the Grecian taste. The ceinture houses two mahogany lined quadrant moulded drawers, with fielded panels and further bronze edgings, with foliate escutcheons, centred around tablet with a agricane (ram head) motif. The reverse has two dummy drawers and repeated motifs, and the sides have foliate bronze plaques.
The rectangular top, with everted angles shows finely chosen thuya wood, protected by a guard rim of gadrooned bronze, with an interior band, housing running inlaid and engraved bellflowers, and an interior geometric banding.
Originally founded in 1803 by Stephen Taprell and William Holland, a relation of the architect Henry Holland, the firm of Holland & Sons soon became one of the largest and most successful furniture making companies in the 19th Century. The firm worked extensively for the Royal Family, being granted the Royal Warrant early in the reign of Queen Victoria, hence taking a leading part in the decoration and furnishing of Osborne House, Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor Castle and the apartments of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked extensively for the British Government, for whom they executed over three hundred separate commissions, including the Palace of Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and oversaw the State funeral of the Duke of Wellington. Among their private commissions the firm produced a celebrated suite of bedroom furniture for the late Sir Harold Wernher at Luton Hoo.
Always at the forefront of fashion, Holland & Sons employed some of England’s leading designers and participated in all of the International Exhibitions of 1851, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1872 and 1878.