Constructed using Circassian walnut, with ebony, kingwood, and specimen woods utilised in the inlay work: the piece closely follows the Plate 16 design shown in Bridgen’s ‘Furniture with Candelabra’, published in 1838. Rising from a castor shod, tripartite hipped and swept leg base, issuing a baluster form centre column, extensively dressed with foliate marquetry work; the circular top has a thumb nail moulded edge, the outer kingwood guard band containing an inner ebony reserve, profusely inlaid with well executed marquetry work, enclosing the excellent specimen figured walnut centre.
‘The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840’, published by the Furniture History Society informs that Morant Snr. was a maker of carved and gilded frames from early in the reign of George IVth, and his trade card describes the company as ‘Ornamental Painter & Paper Hanging Manufacturer to their Royal Highnesses’. Work was executed for Sir Thomas Lawrence, Sir Robert Peel, the Dukes of Sussex, Cambridge and Sutherland, inter alia. The company exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851, the New York International Exhibition of 1853, and the London International Exhibition of 1862. ‘Masterpieces of Industrial Art & Sculpture, edited by J.B.Waring, published in 1862 illustrates a wonderful sideboard made for Lord Ellesmere, that was shown at this exhibition. A Royal Warrant was granted in 1840, by Queen Victoria. Throughout the Nineteenth Century, they were recognised as one of England’s most eminent cabinet makers.