To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "An Antique Satinwood and Marquetry Vitrine Cabinet"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
An Antique Satinwood and Marquetry Vitrine Cabinet
c. 1860 England
Offered by Butchoff
Constructed in satinwood, with kingwood cross banding, marquetry inlay in specimen woods, and dressed with ormolu mounts; rising from swept cabriole legs, having foliate sabots to the toes, and espagnolettes to the shoulders; the shaped frieze and platform housing a hinged glazed lockable display section; the upper part having a pair of glazed doors having everted angles, with a stiff leaf ormolu running trim, flanked by canted sides, dressed with ormolu mounts; over, a caddy top, surmounted by a three quarter arcaded ormolu balustrading enclosing a Carrara marble platform.
Originally founded in 1803 by Stephen Taprell and William Holland, a relation of the architect Henry Holland, the firm of Holland & Sons soon became one of the largest and most successful furniture making companies in the 19th Century. The firm worked extensively for the Royal Family, being granted the Royal Warrant early in the reign of Queen Victoria, hence taking a leading part in the decoration and furnishing of Osborne House, Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor Castle and the apartments of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked extensively for the British Government, for whom they executed over three hundred separate commissions, including the Palace of Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and oversaw the State funeral of the Duke of Wellington. Among their private commissions the firm produced a celebrated suite of bedroom furniture for the late Sir Harold Wernher at Luton Hoo.
Always at the forefront of fashion, Holland & Sons employed some of England's leading designers and participated in all of the International Exhibitions of 1851, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1872 and 1878.
|Height||152.50 cm||(60.04 inches)|
|Width||105.00 cm||(41.34 inches)|
|Depth||58.50 cm||(23.03 inches)|