Of octagonal form: constructed in a finely marked Circassian walnut, carved, and with arabesque inlays in primarily ebony, and specimen woods; the tripartite platform base shod with castors, the knurled toes scroll carved, and dressed with bosses, with carved arabesques and elliptical lozenges to the upper part; the swept bulbous column having foliate inlays within cartouches; the top having a tilting action, richly, precisely and extensively inlaid with foliate form, within a guard band, and having a central circular medallion. Stamped to the top platform, ‘H Winter, Wardour Street, Soho, London’, and bearing an old hand written label.
The family business commenced at 101 Wardour Street in 1823, and, after 1840, moving to 151/153/155 Wardour Street. The ‘James Winter’ label describes themselves as ‘Brokers, Appraisers & Undertakers, Dealer in Second Hand Household Furniture’. A trade card, recently found, notes ‘A Liberal Price for Second Hand Furniture in Large or Small Quantities’. They offered the service ‘Rents Collected & Legally Recovered’. Much of the furniture stamped by the company is of the very highest quality (see ‘Marked London Furniture 1700-1840’ by Christopher Gilbert, published by the Furniture History Society). The company closed in 1870.
Dictionary of English Furniture makers, 1660- 1840, published by the Furniture History Society.