To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "An exceptional pair of George II Cast Candlesticks made in London in 1739 by the rare makers Bennett Bradshaw and Robert Tyrill."
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
With regard to the Armorial, our research has uncovered a most interesting provenance. The Arms are those of the Crisp family, Baronets of Hammersmith, London, created 1665. The first Baronet, Sir Nicholas, 1599-1666, was a vastly wealthy London merchant and eminent Royalist. He was sometime MP for Winchelsea and raised and commanded a regiment of horse, at his own expense, during the Civil War. All his property was sequested by Parliament in 1645, whereupon he fled to France.
At the Restoration, much of his property was restored and in the short time left to him he again accumulated a very large fortune, being high in Royal favour was an advantage ! Besides estates in Oxfordshire, Sir Nicholas built a magnificent house in Hammersmith which his heirs sold to Prince Rupert in 1683. It was subsequently the residence of the Margrave of Brandenburg-Anspatch from 1792 and then of Caroline, Queen Consort of King George IV.
The Arms are specifically those of a Lady in her own right, as they are contained within a diamond shaped lozenge and are those of Mary Theresa Crisp, only daughter of Sir John, the third Baronet. In 1731, she married the Reverend John Stonehouse, however she always used Crisp as her surname. She died in 1751, leaving no issue, and is buried in the graveyard of the Moravian Church in Chelsea. Although the Church was destroyed during the Blitz, the graveyard remains.
Height: 6.8 inches, 17cm.
Base Diameter: 4.75 inches, 11.9cm.
Mary Cooke Antiques Ltd
12 The Old Power Station
121 Mortlake High Street