An important pair of Arts & Crafts wrought iron candlesticks designed by Ernest Gimson and attributed to the maker Alfred Bucknell

ERNEST GIMSON (1864-1919)
School of COTSWOLDS ARTS & CRAFTS MOVEMENT (worked from 1880)

An important pair of Arts & Crafts wrought iron candlesticks designed by Ernest Gimson and attributed to the maker Alfred Bucknell

c. 1910 England

Offered by Cave Decorative Arts

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Worked in wrought iron, the wide octagonal bases with broad drip pans suspended above on slender delicately knopped and chamfered stems punched and chased with stylistic, repetitive detailing, each surmounted with a shaped candle holder.

Ernest Gimson (1864-1919)
Ernest Gimson was described by the art critic Nikolaus Pevsner as “the greatest of the English architect-designers”. Born in Leicester, the son of an engineer, he had the fortune to meet William Morris who came to stay with the Gimson family in 1884 after lecturing at the Leicester Secular Society on ‘Art & Socialism’. The young Gimson impressed Morris so much, he wrote letters of introduction for him to London architects. After experience gained in the architectural practice of John Dando Sedding and then with Morris for The Society for The Protection of Ancient Buildings and now firmly part of an enthusiastic circle of young architects and designers such as William Lethaby, Alfred Powell, Detmar Blow and the brothers Ernest and Sidney Barnsley, Gimson moved in 1893 to the Cotswolds, “to live near to nature”.
Gimson and the Barnsley brothers settled near Cirencester and went into partnership, setting up a small furniture workshop there. In 1900 he formed a partnership with Ernest, with workshops and a showroom at Daneway House, Sapperton, employing cabinet makers such as Peter Waals and Harry Davoll. For the rest of his life he designed furniture and objects true to the Arts & Crafts movement, using limited machinery, skilled craftsmen and exploring the ways of the traditional crafts and buildings around them.

Alfred Bucknell
Alfred Bucknell was the son of William Bucknell, the village blacksmith at Tunley. When Ernest Gimson started designing metalwork in 1900 he used William’s expertise and took on Alfred, setting him up with a forge in the village of Sapperton. Alfred continued making handles and fittings for Gimson as well as sconces and candlesticks. After Gimson died in 1919 Alfred moved his workshop to the village of Waterlane, where with his son Norman he continued to collaborate with designers such as Peter Waals and Norman Jewson.
Private UK collection
Dimensions
Height 31.00 cm (12.20 inches)
Width 17.50 cm (6.89 inches)
Stock Code
D035
Cave Decorative Arts

Cave Decorative Arts
12 Clarendon Cross
London
W11 4AP
England

+44 (0) 20 7221 3700
+44 (0)7775 567 599
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2016
View Full Details