Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs
Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs

Antique Art Deco Satinwood Dining Table & 10 Chairs

c. 1920 England

Offered by Regent Antiques

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
This is a stunning antique Art Deco satinwood and satin walnut dining room suite by the renowned cabinet makers, Waring & Gillow , circa 1920 in date.

This fabulous dining suite comprises:
* a dining table with two leaves
* a set of ten chairs

The table is rectangular in shape with canted corners and is raised on twin end supports united by a stretcher. It has two leaves which can be added or removed as required to suit the occasion and it bears the impressed stamp of Waring & Gillow.

The flame like grain of the satinwood is truly breathtaking and the finish is of the highest quality.

This original set of ten chairs comprise eight sidechairs and two armchairs. They have been reupholstered in fabulous cream leather with red piping. The table and chairs have been French polished so as to highlight the beautiful grain of the blonde satinwood

It is quite rare to find an original Art Deco period 1920's walnut dining table and the original matching set of ten chairs.

This set is a fabulous example of the Art Deco period and will enhance any room in which it is placed.

It is quite rare to find an original Art Deco period 1920's satinwood dining table and the original matching set of ten chairs.


Condition:


In excellent condition having been beautifully restored and reupholstered in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.


Dimensions in cm:

Height 75 x Width 275 x Depth 107 - Table when fully extended

Height 75 x Width 185 x Depth 107 - Table when fully closed

Height 91 x Width 46 x Depth 45 - Chairs

Height 93 x Width 57 x Depth 51 - Armchairs

Dimensions in inches:

Height 29.5 x Width 108.3 x Depth 42.1 - Table when fully extended

Height 29.5 x Width 72.8 x Depth 42.1 - Table when fully closed

Height 35.8 x Width 18.1 x Depth 17.7 - Chairs

Height 36.6 x Width 22.4 x Depth 20.1 - Armchairs
Satinwood
is a hard and durable wood with a satinlike sheen, much used in cabinetmaking, especially in marquetry. It comes from two tropical trees of the family Rutaceae (rue family). East Indian or Ceylon satinwood is the yellowish or dark-brown heartwood of Chloroxylon swietenia.

The lustrous, fine-grained, usually figured wood is used for furniture, cabinetwork, veneers, and backs of brushes. West Indian satinwood, sometimes called yellow wood, is considered superior. It is the golden yellow, lustrous, even-grained wood found in the Florida Keys and the West Indies.

It has long been valued for furniture. It is also used for musical instruments, veneers, and other purposes. Satinwood is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Sapindales, family Rutaceae.

Waring & Gillow
is a noted firm of English furniture manufacturers formed in 1897 by the merger of Gillow of Lancaster and Waring of Liverpool.

The firm of Gillow's of Lancaster can be traced back to the luxury furniture and furnishings firm founded by Robert Gillow (1704–72) in 1730. Robert Gillow served an apprenticeship as a joiner. During the 1730s he began to exploit the lucrative West Indies trade exporting mahogany furniture and importing rum and sugar. Following his death in 1772, the business was continued by his two sons, Richard (1734–1811) and Robert (1745–93). In 1764 a London branch of Gillow's was established at 176 Oxford Road, now Oxford Street, by Thomas Gillow and William Taylor. The firm rapidly established a reputation for supplying high-quality furniture to the richest families in the country.

During the final years of the 19th century the company ran into financial difficulty and from 1897 began a loose financial arrangement with Waring of Liverpool, an arrangement legally ratified by the establishment of Waring & Gillow in 1903. Waring's of Liverpool was founded by John Waring, who arrived in the city from Belfast in 1835 and established a wholesale cabinet making business. He was succeeded by his son Samuel James Waring who rapidly expanded the business during the 1880s, furnishing hotels and public buildings throughout Europe. He also founded Waring-White Building Company which built the Liverpool Corn Exchange, Selfridge's department store and the Ritz Hotel. Samuel James's son and namesake Samuel James Waring (1860-1940) continued the family business and was elevated to the peerage as Baron Waring in 1922.

Gillow's had established a reputation for the outfitting of luxury yachts and liners, including the royal yacht Victoria and Albert, liners Lusitania,Heliopolis and Cairo, Queen Mary (1936) and Queen Elizabeth (1940) for Cunard. During the First World War the Lancaster factory was turned over to war production, making ammunition chests for the Navy and propellers for De Havilland DH9 aircraft. They also established a large tent-manufacturing facility of 8,000 workers during WW1 on the now closed former exhibition site at White City (the former Machinery Hall). They also made gas masks and trench covers from this site.During this time it was also at the White City site that the Workers Union first got recognition after a four-day strike mainly by women. The company also manufactured ammunition belts for use with machine guns, nosebags for horses and protective clothing for use during gas attacks.

During World War II the factory produced parts for gliders and the Mosquito aircraft, while kit-bags, tents and camouflage nets were made by the upholstery department.

However, the business of the firm began to decline and the Lancaster workshops closed on 31 March 1962. In 1980 Waring and Gillow joined with the cabinet-making firm Maple & Co, to become Maple, Waring and Gillow, subsequently part of Allied Maples Group Ltd, which includes Allied Carpets.




Our reference: 05864
Stock Code
05864
Regent Antiques

Regent Antiques
Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX

+44 (0)20 8802 3900
+44 (0)7836 294074
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member
Members of
View Full Details