To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique Brass Extending Naval Telescope circa 1880 Bisley"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
It is made from solid brass is black leather bound and is in really excellent condition. It is presented in a brown cylindrical leather case which shows signs of wear. The case has a matching carry strap.
The telescope was last used on the shooting range at Bisley.
It is a very decorative object which would look amazing in your library.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 108 x Width 8.6 - when fully extended
Height 30 x Width 8.6 - when closed
Dimensions in inches:
Height 42.5 x Width 3.4 - when fully extended
Height 11.8 x Width 3.4 - when closed
Telescope is an instrument that aids in the observation of remote objects by collecting electromagnetic radiation (such as visible light). The first known practical telescopes were invented in the Netherlands at the beginning of the 17th century, using glass lenses. They found use in terrestrial applications and astronomy.
Within a few decades, the reflecting telescope was invented, which used mirrors. In the 20th century many new types of telescopes were invented, including radio telescopes in the 1930s and infrared telescopes in the 1960s. The word telescope now refers to a wide range of instruments detecting different regions of the electromagnetic spectrum, and in some cases other types of detectors.
The word "telescope" comes from the Greek "far-seeing" and was coined in 1611 by the Greek mathematician Giovanni Demisiani for one of Galileo Galilei's instruments presented at a banquet at the Accademia dei Lincei.
Dollond was one of the oldest chain of retail opticians in the United Kingdom, having been established in 1750.
On 21 April 1750, Peter Dollond opened a small optical business in Vine Street, near Hatton Garden in London. He was joined by his father John Dollond in 1752. The Dollonds became quite famous for the quality of his optical products. In 1768 John Dollond, now a partner in business, was appointed optician to King George III and the Duke of York. In 1781, Peter Dollond made bifocal spectacles.
At the Great Exhibition 1851 in London, Dollonds were awarded a medal for the excellence of their optical instruments.
In 1889, James Aitchinson established his first business in Fleet Street. In 1927 Dollond & Co merged with Aitchison & Co, to form Dollond & Aitchison (abbreviated D&A).
The business was absorbed into Boots Opticians in 2009 and stores are being rebranded under the new owner.
318 Green Lanes