To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique Edwardian Mahogany 3 door Bookcase C1910"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The piece features a rich and striking grain, and has been accomplished in mahogany, a highly desirable wood. The mahogany has been beautifully faded over the years, by the sun, and looks fabulous. It has 13 pane astragal glazing to the top doors and as a sign of quality all the glass has bevilled edges. This bookcase has original shelves, locks, glass, etc., and the shelves are adjustable.
Instill the elegance of a bygone era to a special place in your home with this fabulous antique bookcase.
P.E. Gane Ltd (1909-1954)
In 1909 Philip Endres Gane, partner in the cabinet makers of Trapnell & Gane, became sole proprietor and gave the company his own name. He also gave it a new direction, away from prestigious royal and establishment commissions and towards more modern and exciting developments. Quality Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau furniture was produced and in the 1930s P.E.Gane successfully collaborated with the Modernist Marcel Breuer.
His two sons, Leslie and Crofton, became associated with the firm as directors. The latter took over the chairmanship on the death of his father in 1933. Air raids during the Second World War took a heavy toll of company premises. The large showrooms on College Green were totally destroyed in 1940 along with much furniture and many records. Shortly afterwards its workshop in St.Paul's and also its warehouse suffered the same fate.
The wartime destruction and other factors effectively ended the company's long-held reputation as a manufacturer of high-class house furnishings. In post war years the company operated from its showroom at 79 Park Street, Bristol. Unfortunately, these premises provided a totally inadequate single window display for its various departments.
In 1950 the company's Newport branch closed (its Cardiff branch had already been sold in 1930) and four years later the company itself passed into voluntary liquidation.
|Height||230.00 cm||(90.55 inches)|
|Width||216.00 cm||(85.04 inches)|
|Depth||51.00 cm||(20.08 inches)|
318 Green Lanes