To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique English Chamberlain Worcester Large Porcelain Goblet with Grisaille Painting by Humphrey Chamberlain After Angelia Kauffman painting of the figure of Design,"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Antique English Chamberlain Worcester Large Porcelain Goblet with Grisaille Painting by Humphrey Chamberlain After Angelia Kauffman painting of the figure of Design,
1800 to 1815 Worcester
Offered by Earle D Vandekar of Knightsbridge Inc
The complex design has a wide gilt band at the rim with a faux bois design below. Below this is another band, almost like a gold bracelet with diamond shapes with yellow centers connected by white dots surrounded by gold. Small circular panels of hand painted flower bouquets, each with a rose at the center and each surrounded by the faux bois design. Between the bottoms of each floral roundel are yellow diamond with gilt borders with pendant gilt swags. The body of the goblet is painted with scattered small red flowers with a yellow and green leaf intersperced with stylized gilt ones.
From the flared hollow foot, gilt and yellow sun bursts issue upward. The foot itself has a series of bands with ochre at the top and bottom with the center in yellow with a series of gilt reeding with tiny green dots.
Height: 7 inches x 6 1/4 inches wide
The engrisaille panel appears to be inspired by the Angelia Kauffman painting of the figure of Design. This painting is part of a set of the four 'Elements of Art' represented by female allegories of Invention, Composition, Design and Colour which were commissioned by the Royal Academy in 1778 to decorate the ceiling of the Academy's new Council Chamber in Somerset House.
The present painting shows the figure of Design as an imposing allegorical female dressed in white and pale red with a purple mantle, seated beside two Roman columns. The figure is copying a fragment of an Antique male nude statue, commonly called the Belvedere torso. The original statue was first documented in Rome in the 1430s and is now in the Vatican Museum, Rome. However a cast of this torso was in the Royal Academy's collection at the time of Kauffman's commission and was for the use of the students of the Royal Academy Schools.
|Height||7.00 inch||(17.78 cm)|
|Width||6.25 inch||(15.87 cm)|