To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique English Victorian Silver 4 x Teaset with silver tray"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The tea and coffee set and the tray look superb together and compliment each other perfectly, both have beautiful engraved decoration.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 6 x Width 70 x Depth 48 - Tray
Height 22 x Width 25 x Depth 15 - Coffee Pot
Weight 179 troy oz - Of set
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 inches x Width 2 feet, 4 inches x Depth 1 foot, 7 inches - Tray
Height 9 inches x Width 10 inches x Depth 6 inches - Coffee Pot
- Of set
Smily Family of Silversmiths.
William Smily (born in 1792) was apprenticed in 1809 to Joseph Preston, spoon and fork maker. In 1815, following the death of Joseph Preston, he was turned over to Thomas Wallis II to complete his apprenticeship. However he did not took up his freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company until 1830 (freedom by Service at the address Gee Street, Goswell Street). It is likely that, at that time, he had commenced to work in the factory of A.B. Savory & Sons at 15 Gee Street.
His son William Robert Smily was apprenticed to him in Gee Street in 1833, obtaining his freedom in 1840.
In 1840 William Smily is recorded as residing and working at 5 Finsbury Place South, the address of another of Savory's factories where also the other two sons were apprenticed to their father (Samuel Smily I in 1840 and Thomas Smily in 1841). William Smily entered his own marks at Goldsmiths' Hall only in 1855 and 1856 when he became works manager for A.B. Savory & Sons. His marks (SS into a rectangle) were used on silverware manufactured for the firm (from c. 1860 often accompanied by the stamp "A.B. Savory & Sons"). In April 1865 William Smily moved to 18 Red Lion Street (the address of A.B. Savory & Sons factory) were he died on 9 September of the same year.
His eldest son, William Robert Smily, after apprenticeship to his father (1833) and freedom by Service (1840) established in 1842 his own business as W.R. Smily (spoon maker) at 7 Seaward Street, Goswell Street. In c. 1844 he moved to 9 Camomile Street, were he traded as manufacturing silversmith. In 1852 W.R. Smily moved to 65 Crown Street, Finsbury Square in the premises previously occupied by Charles Lias (1837-1847) and Judah Hart (1847-1852). William Robert Smily died in 1858 (aged 34). The business was continued by his brother Thomas Smily maintaining the trade name of W.R. Smily.
Thomas Smily, the younger son of William Smily, was born in 1827. After the apprenticeship to his father (1841) and freedom by Service (1848) he, presumably, continued to work with his father for A.B. Savory & Sons. He entered his own mark in the Goldsmiths' Hall only in 1858, when he was called to manage the business at the death of his brother William Robert Smily. The firm maintained the name of W.R. Smily until 1883, when the business was acquired by Edwin Charles Purdie. Thomas Smily emigrated to Canada, where he died in 1918.
Samuel Smily (born 1825), the other son of William Smily, after apprenticeship to his father (1840) and freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company (1847) presumably continued to work with his father for A.B. Savory & Sons. After the death of William Smily (1865), Samuel Smily registered his own mark at the Goldsmith' Hall (SS into a chamfered rectangle) and took over his father's position of works manager of A.B. Savory & Sons. In 1866 A.B. Savory & Sons was converted into a limited liability company and changed the name to Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd. From this date the hallmark 'SS' was often accompanied by the stamp "Goldsmiths Alliance Limited". Samuel Smily retired from Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd in 1880 and died in 1882.
Other members of Smily's family obtained their freedom of the Goldsmiths' Company but didn't enter their own mark in the Goldsmiths' Hall. They were:
William Robert Smily II (born 1845) and his brother Alfred Smily (sons of William Robert Smily). They obtained their freedom by Patrimony in 1869 and 1871;
Samuel Smily II (born 1860), son of Samuel Smily. He obtained his freedom by Service in 1882.
James & William Deakin
The firm was founded in Sheffield by James Deakin in 1866.
The first mark was entered by the firm in Sheffield Assay Office on 31 January 1878. It was a "JD" over "WD" and, possibly, represented the partnership of James Deakin and his son William Pitchford Deakin. The firm was active at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield.
In 1886 two further sons entered in the partnership, John Deakin and Albert Deakin, and the firm was then known as James Deakin & Sons.
Further marks were entered in London Assay Office (1888) by William and John Deakin (subsidiary offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct, London), Chester and Birmingham. Further offices and showrooms were opened at Gardiner House, 14 Charterhouse Street, London, 34 St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and 7 Queen Street, Belfast.
After the retirement of James Deakin (1893) the business was continued by his sons William, John and Albert.
In 1897 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style James Deakin & Sons Ltd.
The firm was the proprietor of Shaw and Fisher, Electro-plate Manufacturers (established 1835) and of Walter Latham & Son, Sterling Silver & Electro-plate manufacturers (established 1874).
Our reference: 06957a
318 Green Lanes