To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique Italian Oval Porcelain Dish decorated in the Tulipano Pattern, Doccia"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
Lucca e le Porcellane Della Manifattura Ginori, Fondazione Centro Studi Sull`arte Licia E Carlo Ludovico Ragghainti,2001) page 107, plate 38 and page 135, plate 72.
Pitta Palace Italian Porcelain #38 for a similar example from their Tulip service dated 1780-1810.
The Palazzo Pitti (Italian pronunciation: [pa'lattso 'pitti]), in English sometimes called the Pitti Palace, is a vast mainly Renaissance palace in Florence, Italy. It is situated on the south side of the River Arno, a short distance from the Ponte Vecchio. The core of the present palazzo dates from 1458 and was originally the town residence of Luca Pitti, an ambitious Florentine banker.
The palace was bought by the Medici family in 1549 and became the chief residence of the ruling families of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. It grew as a great treasure house as later generations amassed paintings, plates, jewelry and luxurious possessions.
In the late 18th century, the palazzo was used as a power base by Napoleon, and later served for a brief period as the principal royal palace of the newly united Italy. The palace and its contents were donated to the Italian people by King Victor Emmanuel III in 1919, and its doors were opened to the public as one of Florence's largest art galleries. Today, it houses several minor collections in addition to those of the Medici family, and is fully open to the public.
The Doccia Porcelain factory was located at Doccia near Florence, it was started by Marchese Carlo Ginori (17021757), who was a gifted and enlightened politician. He reclaimed the marshes of cecina on the Tuscan coast for use in agriculture and even introduced goldfish from China to the Austrian court. But his great passion was for porcelain, his factory at Doccia started in 1735, although the early period was experimental. Commercial production didn`t start until the early 1740`s, the factory is still in production today. Carlo Ginori shared Augustus the Strong`s love of large sculptural ceramics, wonderful large white porcelain figures and groups were produced, but the factory`s main output was functional porcelain, tea and coffee services as well as dinner services, fork and knife handles, vases, bottle coolers and many other objects.
Doccia Porcelain is a type of hybrid hard-paste, the so-called masso bastardo. The paste is somewhat grey, frequently showing `firing cracks`. The lead-glaze that was used in the 18th century is also rather grey, sometimes this greyness can be quite pronounced, the tin-oxide glaze can sometimes have an orange-peel effect caused but tiny burst bubbles, this gives a slightly dull appearance. Towards the later part of the 18th century a fine cold white paste was developed for finer quality pieces. (http://www.chineseceramicslondon.com/print.asp?stock=22090)
|Width||13.00 inch||(33.02 cm)|
|Depth||10.25 inch||(26.03 cm)|