To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique Jewellery Box"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The interior when opened locks into position with a sprung brass square catch which can be seen in the lid in front of the mirror, to close the lid you then need to push the squared locking pin towards the mirror frame this will then allow you to close the box. The Jewellery Box is faced with fabulous detailed engraved brass and the lock has "improved", "patent" the letters V & R between a fabulous Crown of Queen Victoria. The Jewellery box features fixed mirror on the inside of the lid and a green silk velvet and silk lined tray with various compartments including two for rings, earrings and cufflinks. This can be lifted out to reveal further storage underneath with removable padded covers.
Secret push button for the drawer.
The flush fitting drawer at the front can be opened by removing the main jewellery tray inside the box and pressing on the back edge base in the middle of the rear compartment. Inside the drawer is further storage space with a padded cover, remove the silk velvet pad and press the inside of the right hand side drawer wall will cause the back section of the drawer to spring forward revealing three small hidden drawers each one dovetailed and made from solid coromandel again all lined in silk, perfect for those extra precious items.
This exquisite Antique Corormandel Jewellery Box comes with fully working lock and tasselled key.
More information about the Austin family.
The firm was started by George Austin Senior in 1827 and his son Thomas joined the business in 1841, although the firm always traded as George Austin & Co. By 1847 Thomas had succeeded his father as the main manager of the firm and it was he who was praised by the adjudicators of the furniture
section of the Exhibition of Irish Manufacture, Produce and Invention, held by the Royal Dublin Society on the lawns of Leinster House that year "for his ornamental Buhl cabinets and writing desks".
In 1857, George Junior formally joined the business. The firm exhibited at
the R.D.S.’s Fine Art Exhibition at Earlsfort Terrace in 1861 with a range
of travelling furniture. The firm, like a few others in the city, had tapped into the lucrative market of camp or travelling furniture which was aimed at the grand tourist and also the British army on campaign. Thomas and George
moved to new premises at 39 Westmoreland St the same year.
The firm was a medal winner in Section C, Class 3 Furniture at the R.D.S.`s Dublin Exhibition at Ballsbridge in 1872 (Freemans Journal 2nd December
1872, P. 6).
Politically, the Austin’s appear to have kept a very low profile and were never mentioned as having been involved in any of the many trade disputes and conflicts which occurred between the operatives and their masters in the trade throughout the century. Most cabinet making firms did not last long in 19th century Dublin so the fact that George Austin & Co. survived for more than fifty years, through a time of many economic depressions, strikes,
lockouts, scab labour and the flooding of the country with mass-produced cheap furniture from factories in Birmingham, Manchester and London’s East End for an undiscerning Irish middle class, is a testament to the firms high
standards of design and manufacture, and business management.
Austin, George, 7 Andrew St 1828 - 1836
(& 9 William St) 1837 - 1840
(& Thomas) 1841 - 1851
(6 & 7 Andrew St only) 1852 - 1856
(& George [grandson]) 1857 - 1860
(& 39 Westmoreland St) 1861 - 1878
United Kingdom £25
For more details about shipping and purchasing please CLICK HERE
|Height||7.50 inch||(19.05 cm)|
|Width||13.50 inch||(34.29 cm)|
|Depth||9.50 inch||(24.13 cm)|