Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask
Antique Silver Flask

MARY ANN & CHARLES REILLY (worked from c.1825)

Antique Silver Flask

1828 England

Offered by waxantiques

£2,750 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
378
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
A superb antique sterling silver flask. Graceful plain form and super large size. Inscribed to the front with a hand engraved lion crest and the name “John Bayley Esq” and to the reverse “Nymph”, the name of Bayley’s* luxury sailing ship. The cap unscrews and the top band is gold plated. Contains a hefty 950 ml. Weight 500 grams, 16 troy ounces. Height 21.5cm. Base 7.2 x 5.4cm. London 1828. Maker Mary Ann & Charles Reilly.
The flask is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. The engravings are still sharp. With a full set of clear English silver marks to the body, cap unmarked.
Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
Sir John Bayley (b.1763), Knight and Baronet of the Exchequer. Bayley's luxurious life style included a town house in Pall Mall, London, the country residence of Updown House in the Parish of Ham and the sailing boat “Nymph”, a vessel which could accommodate both his family and guests, together with servants, silver and fine china. The flask offered for sale is likely to be the ship’s flask from the Captain’s table.

A painting was sold in Christies South Kensington on 24.11.10 entitled “Sir John Bayley's cutter yacht Nymph flying the ensign of the Royal Yacht Squadron in Scottish waters” signed and dated 'J.C. Schetky 1836'. John Christian Schetky (Edinburgh 1778-1874). Photograph attached.

The Royal Yacht Squadron. Bayley was a member of the prestigeous and influential British yachting club, founded as the Yacht Club at Cowes by a group of men interested in salt-water yachting. From 1820 it was known as the Royal Yacht Club and in July 1833 was renamed The Royal Yacht Squadron at the request of William IV. The RYS entered into its historic headquarters, the Castle at Cowes in 1858.
Stock Code
8702
Medium
silver
waxantiques

waxantiques
Vault 27
The London Silver Vaults
53-64 Chancery Lane
London
WC2A 1QS

Contact Details
+44 (0)7904 297419
+44 (0)20 7288 1939
+44 (0)7904 297419
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2009
Members of
View Full Details