Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825
Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825
Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825
Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825
Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825
Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825

JOHN BRIDGE (worked 1824-1834)

Antique Sterling Silver Ewer Jug by John Bridge 1825

1825 England

Offered by Regent Antiques

£1,450 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
This is a really superb antique sterling silver ewer with hallmarks for London 1825 and the makers mark of one of the most celebrated silversmiths of all time, John Bridge.

With chased and engraved classical foliate decoration typical of his very best work and a fruitwood scroll handle.

Beautifully engraved with the crest and motto of Glenorchy.

There is no mistaking the unique quality and design, which is sure to make this ewer a treasured item by any discerning collector.

John Campbell, MP, Lord Glenorchy, and thence by descent to the present owner.

In excellent condition with no dings, dents or signs of repair.

John Bridge (Dorset 1755 - London 1834)
The eldest son of Thomas Bridge of Piddle Trenthide Dorset, born 21 January 1755.
He was a co founder of the greatest 19th century retailers to ever grace England, Rundell Bridge & Rundell, Royal retailers to the Prince Regent.
Employing some of the most eminent craftsmen of his day. Both new and old silver, jewellery, objects of virtue and watches made up the vast stock at the London shop at number 32 Ludgate Hill. By the 1820's, it was a vast enterprise with agencies in Paris, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Baghdad, Constantinople, Bombay, Calcutta, and various cities in South America. The success was as much due to the endeavors of John Bridge as to Rundell's own ruthless character and the beauty and quality of the merchandise.

Rundell & Bridge were a London firm of jewellers and goldsmiths formed by Philip Rundell (1746–1827)and John Bridge (1755–1834). When Edmond Waller Rundell, nephew of Philip Rundell, was admitted as a partner in 1804, the firm's name changed to Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. That same year John Gawler Bridge, nephew of John Bridge also joined the firm. Following John Bridge's death in 1834 a new partnership was formed comprising John Gawler Bridge, Thomas Bigge, John Bridge's nephews and Bigge's son, and the firm changed its name to Rundell, Bridge & Co.

The firm was appointed as one of the goldsmiths and jewellers to the king in 1797 and Principal Royal Goldsmiths & Jewellers in 1804, and the firm held the Royal Warrant until 1843. After the Congress of Vienna (1814-15), the firm prepared 22 snuff-boxes to a value of 1000 guineas each to be given as diplomatic gifts.

Amongst its employees were the well-known artists John Flaxman and Thomas Stothard, who both designed and modelled silverware. Directing their workshops from 1802 were the silversmith Benjamin Smith and the designer Digby Scott, and in 1807, Paul Storr, the most celebrated English silversmith of the period, took charge, withdrawing from the firm in 1819 to establish his own workshops.

The Royal Goldsmiths served four monarchs: George III, George IV, William IV and Victoria. In addition, their name was attributed to the 'Rundell Tiara', made for Princess Alexandra in 1863.

Our reference: 07571
Height 23.50 cm (9.25 inches)
Width 22.00 cm (8.66 inches)
Depth 15.00 cm (5.91 inches)
Stock Code
Regent Antiques

Regent Antiques
Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
N4 1BX

Contact Details
+44 (0)20 8802 3900
+44 (0)7836 294074
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Members of
View Full Details