To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Antique Victorian English Sterling Silver Tureen 1898"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
It would make a lovely addition to your dinner table.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 24 x Width 28 x Depth 21 & Weight 52 troy oz
Dimensions in inches:
Height 9.4 x Width 11.0 x Depth 8.3
D. & J. Welby Ltd. - on 5th December 1827 Joseph Clement and John Welby effected an insurance policy from 57 King Street, Soho, where they are described as refiners and jewellers with workshops.
John Welby, who appears to have taken over the business by 1834, is described in 1836 as having carried on a considerable business for some time as a refiner. In 1841 he is listed at the same address as a gold and silver refiner and in 1852 as a gold and silver refiner and the propretior of an exchange office. The firm was subsequently continued by Daniel Welby and John Welby at their 'manufactory', 57 King Street, Soho Square, later moving to 20 Garrick Street, Covent Garden, WC, where by 1897 they are listed as diamond merchants and wholesale jewellers and dealers in plate.
In 1896/7 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style of D. and J. Welby Ltd. at 18 & 20 Garrick Street, WC, dealers in gold, silver, platinum etc., assayers, refiners, jewellers, etc., with D. Welby, J.H. Welby, Edward Henry Welby and Howard Welby as directors. In 1902 the firm purchased the stock and goodwill of the jewellers, Phillips Brothers & Sons of Cockspur Street.
The directors are subsequently recorded as J.H. Welby and E.H. Welby, with H. Welby as secretary. Remaining at Garrick Street until c. 1965, D. & J. Welby Ltd. moved to corner premises, 30 Dover Street and 1 Hay Hill, W1, where they took over the business of Boswell and Ward, antique dealers. The business closed in 1973/4.
Our reference: 06036
318 Green Lanes