Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co
Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co
Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co
Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co
Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co

THOMAS WEBB AND CORBETT LTD Also known as WEBB-CORBETT (worked 1897-1986)

Art Deco Set of Six Hock Glasses by Webb & Co

c. 1920 England

Offered by Hickmet Fine Arts

£1,550 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
93
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
A fabulous set of six Art Deco hock wine glasses, the clear glass bodies cased in transparent green and engraved with an intricate flower and leaf design with additional versatile use as champagne flutes when turned upside down
Excellent Original Condition
Webb Crystal Glass Company

Timeline of Webb’s Crystal Glass Company, of 40 Norfolk Street, The Strand, London, glass makers.

c.1920 Company established and floated

1920 British Glass Industries entered into contracts to acquire controlling interest in a number of undertakings making electric light bulbs, tumblers, lamp glass used for scientific and medical and industrial purposes, crystal and table ware, and other types of glass. These companies were to be amalgamated and controlled through Webb’s Crystal Glass Co Ltd, the controlling interest in which would be owned by British Glass Industries. Companies concerned included:
Thomas Webb and Son (1837)
Edinburgh and Leith Flint Glass Co (1863)
Corbett and Co (1911)
Medway Glass Works Ltd
Robert Johnson Lampblown and Glassware Accessories Co
R. Johnson and Co (1860 glass factors and dealers)
Samuel Pearson (West Bromwich) Ltd
E. M. Patents Ltd
Philips Ltd
1920 Mention at AGM that Duroglass was the chemical branch of the company.

1922 The Tutbury Works were leased out to another company.

1925 Reduction in capital.

1930 Henry G. Richardson and Sons was taken over by Thomas Webb and Sons. According to an Agreement, dated 25th July, the company of Henry G. Richardson and Sons was sold to Webb’s Crystal Glass Co on that date. A new private limited company called Henry G. Richardson and Sons Ltd was set up at that time, as a subsidiary of Webbs Crystal.

1936 Had a substantial interest in Duro-Ray Ltd; had been managers of that company since its inception. Increasing interest in their silvered-lining products for flood lighting, street lighting, etc.
1951 The company had 2 production units – Stourbridge (Webbs) and Edinburgh (Edinburgh Crystal) – and 4 subsidiaries – Duroglass Ltd, Duro-Ray Ltd, R. Johnson and Co Ltd, Henry G. Richardson and Son Ltd

1964 Taken over by Crown House.
Dimensions
Height 20.00 cm (7.87 inches)
Stock Code
SKU 6097
Medium
Set of Six Art Deco Hock Glasses
Hickmet Fine Arts

Hickmet Fine Arts
Gallery Eighty Five
85a Portobello Road
London
W11 2QB

Contact Details
+44 (0)7971 850405
-
+44 (0)7971 850405
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2008
Members of
View Full Details