OnlineGalleries.com Twitter Feed Follow OnlineGalleries.com on Facebook
Select Language
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Italian
Portuguese
Spanish
Swedish
Select a Language
Close
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Italian
Portuguese
Spanish
Swedish
Login
hr

A W GAMAGE (GAMAGES DEPARTMENT STORE) (1878-1972)

A.W.Gamage quarter size snooker/Billiard/dining table (c. 1900 England)

Make an enquiry regarding this item
Slide up
A.W.Gamage quarter size snooker/Billiard/dining table
A.W.Gamage quarter size snooker/Billiard/dining table (image 2)
A.W.Gamage quarter size snooker/Billiard/dining table (image 3)
Slide down

Make an enquiry regarding this item
This item is sold
Item Stock Code

FS2255

Item Medium Description

Mahogany and Birch

UK/USA Dimensions

32.00 inch high   42.00 inch wide   78.00 inch deep

European Converted Dimensions

81.28 cm high  106.68 cm wide  198.12 cm deep

Current Item Condition

Excellent

Item Description / Dealer Expertise

Slate bed 1/4 size snooker/Billiard table/ dining table, complete with snooker balls, scoreboard and cues. Original solid mahogany leaves quickly convert this from a dining table to a billiard/snooker table.

A W GAMAGE (GAMAGES DEPARTMENT STORE)
Type Artist/Maker
Country of origin London
Started working 1878
Stopped working 1972

Gamages was a department store at 116-128 Holborn in Central London founded by Mr. A. W. Gamage.
The store closed in 1972, but prior to that had been unusual inasmuch as its premises were away from the main Oxford Street shopping area, being on the edge of the City of London at Holborn.
Arthur Walter Gamage was the son of a Herefordshire farmer who was apprenticed to a London draper in St Paul's churchyard. In 1878, at the age of 21 and having saved £40 (equivalent to £2,500 today) he decided to set up his own shop, in partnership with Frank Spain. Between them they raised the £88 necessary to lease and refit a small watch repair shop in Holborn. The owner assured them that a hosiery shop would do well in the area. The frontage was no more than five feet and above it Gamage hung his motto "Tall Oaks from Little Acorns Grow."
The partners lived in the back room of the shop and allowed themselves no more than fourteen shillings a week for their living expenses. Gamage insisted on selling everything cheaper than anywhere else and gradually crowds began to visit the shop, even though the area was "unfashionable". By the end of the first year trading had grown to £1,632. In 1881, Gamage, bought Spain out and began to expand the premises by buying the small properties that surrounded his original shop until, by the end of the decade, most of the block between Leather Lane and Hatton Garden was in his hands.
Because of the piecemeal expansion, his Department Store ended up as a maze of rooms, steps, passages and ramps which Gamage now called the People's Popular Emporium. Children and adults alike experienced something of an adventure as they wandered through the warren in search of bargains. It offered a very wide selection of goods, including haberdashery, furniture, sporting goods, gardening supplies and utensils, camping equipment, magic tricks, and clothing.
Gamage went on to become the official supplier of uniforms to the Boy Scout movement and continued to expand. A large zoological department and a toy department were joined by a motor department where one could purchase a motor car and all the equipment required for running it. One of the largest departments was that devoted to pedal bicycles and motorcycles. Gamage died in 1930 and tradition has it that he lay in state in the cycle department with a guard of honour made up of members of his staff.
Gamages also had a large mail-order business and issued a wide range of catalogues covering its different departments as well as large comprehensive catalogues. In 1911, for example, 49 pages of his 900 page catalogue were devoted to bicycles.
Gamages took over Benetfink and Co of Cheapside, London EC, another department store which had been established in 1844. This became Gamages's City Depot.
The Holborn premises closed in March 1972 and disappeared in the massive redevelopment scheme which now occupies the site. The frontage on Holborn that was Gamages was in 2009 occupied by a W H Smith stationery store and the offices above are now occupied by French technology specialists Steria.

More information /
Purchase this item

Please email or call +44 (0)1963 371166 for more information or to purchase this item.

Status

SOLD


Make an enquiry regarding this item

Ottery Antiques & Ottery Restorers Ltd

Ottery Antiques & Ottery Restorers Ltd
17 Horsington
Templecombe
Somerset
BA8 0EG

Open: Open by appointment

Contacts: Mr Charles John James
Telephone: +44 (0)1963 371166
Mobile: +44 (0)7770 923 955
Fax: +44 (0)1963 371166
Website: www.otteryantiques.co.uk
www.otteryantiques.com
We are members of:
LAPADA - THE ASSOCIATION OF ART & ANTIQUES DEALERS
LAPADA - THE ASSOCIATION OF ART & ANTIQUES DEALERS
Established: 1986
We deal in:

17th- to 19th-century English furniture. Furniture restoration.