Boxed Tisch Croquet Set
Boxed Tisch Croquet Set

Boxed Tisch Croquet Set

c. 1960 Swiss

Offered by Baggott Church Street Ltd

£795 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
The box contains 8 croquet mallets, 8 croquet balls, 10 wire hoops and start and finish posts. Also a set of ninepins and three silvered bowls. With the set comes a green cloth to cover a table with eight clamps and a roll of green tape to border the playing field to contain the balls. The box has a paper label from Franz Carl Weber, Zurich, Bern, Geneve; they are most famous toy company from Switzerland and were founded in 1821 by Franz Carl Weber and are still in business today.
This set dates to about 1960. Swiss.
Height 2” (5cm) Width 14.75” (38cm) Depth 11.5” (27cm)
Stock No. 9364
The oldest document to bear the word “croquet” with a description of the modern game is the set of rules registered by Isaac Spratt in November 1856 with the Stationers’ Company in London. This record is now in the English Public Records Office. In 1868, the first croquet all-comers’ meeting was held at Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, and, in the same year, the All England Croquet Club was formed at Wimbledon, London.

One explanation for the origins of the game was that it was introduced to Britain from France during the reign of Charles ll of England and was played under the name of ‘paille maille’ (or pall mall) deriving ultimately from the Latin words for ball and mallet. In his 1810 book entitled “The Sports and Pastimes of the People of England”, Joseph Strutt describes the way that Pall Mall was played in England in the early 17th century. “Pale-maille is a game wherein a round box ball is struck with a mallet through a high arch of iron, which he that can do at the fewest blows, or at the number agreed upon, wins.”

The game was a fashionable amusement in the reign of Charles ll, and the walk in St James’ Park, now called the Mall, received its name from having been appropriated for the purpose of playing at ‘mall’, the pastime in which Charles himself and his courtiers frequently indulged for their exercise.

Another theory is that the rules of the modern game of croquet arrived from Ireland during the 1850s, perhaps after being brought here from Brittany where a similar game was played on the beaches. Records show that the similar game of “crookey” was being played at Castlebellingham in 1834, which was introduced to Galway in 1835 and played on the bishop’s palace garden. In the same year, it was played in the genteel Dublin suburb of Dun Laoghaire (then Kingstown) where it was first spelt as “croquet”.
Stock Code
Baggott Church Street Ltd

Baggott Church Street Ltd
Church Street
GL54 1BB

Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2008
Members of
View Full Details