Carmersstraat, Bruges
Carmersstraat, Bruges

Carmersstraat, Bruges

c. 1858 English

Offered by Baggott Church Street Ltd

£650 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Watercolour street scene, Carmersstraat, Bruges, with the Belfry in the distance. The reverse inscribed: Rue de la Carme Bruges, E.M.M. Oct.21st 1858. By English artist, E.M. Marshall.
English, circa 1858
Stock No. 6283W
Emily Mary Marshall

Born in 1841, the daughter of the Reverend John William Henry Marshall, rector of Ovingdean Parish, Suffolk, and alumnus of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, Emily Marshall was as well travelled and accomplished as were most ladies from the middle classes in the 1800s. More so, as with other members of her family, most notably her nephew, John William Henry Marshall-West and his brother Algernon Edward West, she was a gifted artist, painting prolifically in watercolour, scenes that reflected her European travels in Italy, France, Belgium and Holland as well as scenes from her own English surrounding countryside.

She had an eye for detail, painting everything from architecture to boats with an unerring accuracy and her work competently fluctuated in style from artistic, highly detailed and atmospheric simplicity to moody complexity in her portrayal of skies and seascapes. She captured people going about their everyday work and street scenes incorporating significant or ancient buildings and monuments with considerable ease. She also effortlessly reproduced the essence and period of each place and scene and displayed her extreme competence with the use of perspective.

The watercolours in our collection have been preserved from the effect of light and are subsequently probably as strong as when created by the artist, bold and unfaded. Each painting has been mounted and framed.


The top end of Carmersstraat in Bruges, furthest from the town’s centre, with the Belfry in the distance. To the left is the Guild of St. Sebastian and the only church in Bruges with a dome, The English Convent, is further down the street to the right. The tower to the left of the Belfry is the Cathedral of Sint-Salvator, interestingly without its spire, which was added towards the end of the 19th century to increase its height to above that of the cathedral of Notre-Dame and to change its rather flat look that attracted much criticism after its rebuilding in the middle of the 19th century. The other church is probably the church of Notre Dame.
Stock Code
Baggott Church Street Ltd

Baggott Church Street Ltd
Church Street
GL54 1BB

Contact Details
+44 (0)1451 830370
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2008
Members of
View Full Details