The clock is in its original condition and has an eight-day twin fusee chain anchor movement, with a trip repeating rack striking on a bell. The 8in (20c) painted annular dial with brass bezel has Roman numerals with matching hands, set in the most superbly carved burr-elm drum head case, centered with its armorial shield.
On the 19th February 1851, by Letters Patent, Moses Bottomley of Wade House, Shelf, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, was awarded a 'Grant of Arms' for his services to industry, and in celebration he commissioned this magnificent clock to be made incorporating his coat of arms and bearing the Latin inscription 'Fideli Certa Merces' - 'To the faithful man there is assuredly a reward'. Moses Bottomley was born on the 26th June 1796 and died on the 12 June 1870; he was a worsted spinner and manufacturer. The clock then passed to his eldest son Samuel at Shelf Hall and remained there until Samuel's death in 1883, where-upon the clock passed to Moses Bottomley Junior, at Wood Leigh Hall in Rawdon, Yorkshire which is a magnificent grand house in the ‘Elizabethan baroque style’, and it is still standing today. After Moses Junior’s death in 1903, nothing is known of the clock until it was recently acquired from a noble estate in the Hanover region of Germany.