Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings
Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings

Eight Monochrome Architectural Engravings

1715 England

Offered by Baggott Church Street Ltd

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
Taken from the ‘Vitruvius Britannicus, or the British Architect…', a major published work by Colen Campbell (1676-1729), a pioneering architect and architectural writer, who has been credited as being a founder of the Georgian style. These engravings are taken from Volume 1 and are now mounted in gilt frames. (Note some foxing).
English, circa 1715
Each: Framed Height 17.5” (45cm) Width 22.5” (57cm)
Stock No. 1414
Vitruvius Britannicus was a three volume work completed between the years 1715 and 1725 and presented engravings of elevations or plans of a comprehensive selection of important houses and buildings designed at the beginning of the 18th century by some of the greatest architects of all times, such as Campbell himself , Inigo Jones and Sir Christopher Wren.

1. West Front of Wanstead as intended by Sir Richard Child, Bart’. Wanstead was considered by the architect Colen Campbell at the time to be ‘in a most charming situation where are the noblest gardens now in the kingdom’, Page 22 Vol.1.

2. ‘Burlington House in Pickadilly London. To the Rt.Hon’ble Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington & Cork etc’. Colen Campbell was appointed to replace James Gibbs, the baroque architect, in 1717-18, in order to restyle the house in the Palladian manner. Page 32 Vol. 1.

3. ‘Prospect of Montague House'. Montague House was in the French manner and considered by Campbell to be ‘very noble and richly adorned'. The architect was M.Pierre Pouget, who rebuilt the house after it burnt in a fire in 1686. The house was sold in 1755 to house the newly established British Museum. Page 35 Vol. 1.

4. ‘Elevation of Montague House to the Court in Great Russell Street’. Montague House was in the French manner and considered by Campbell to be ‘very noble and richly adorned.’ The architect was M.Pierre Pouget, who rebuilt the house after it burnt in a fire in 1686. The house was sold in 1755 to house the newly established British Museum. Page 36 Vol.1.

5. ‘The Elevation of Kingsweston in the County of Glocester, seat of the Rt. Hon’ble Edward Southwell Principal Secretary of State etc.’. Colen Campbell states that ‘the whole design sufficiently demonstrates the great genius of the architect, which was given by Sir John Vanburgh and finished Anno 1713’. Page 48 Vol.1.

6. ‘Elevation of Wiberry House in the County of Wilt the seat of William Benton Esq.’. The house was designed and built in the style of Inigo Jones by William Benton himself ‘with regard to the noblest manner of architecture in this beautiful and regular design, which was executed in Anno 1710’. Page 52 Vol.1.

7. ‘South Front of Chatsworth’. Redesigned in 1681 by William Talman the architect, Colen Campbell describes the magnificent palace of his Grace, the Duke of Devonshire in Derbyshire as ‘second to none in the Kingdom and perhaps in Europe’. It was considered to be the first baroque private house in England. Page 76 Vol.1.

8. ‘Elevation of Sir Walter Yonge, Bart, his House in Devonshire’. Escot, in the parish of Talaton near Ottery St Mary, was originally built in 1681 by Sir Walter Bart and later rebuilt in 1837 to a design by Henry Roberts. Page 79 Vol.1.
Stock Code
1414
Baggott Church Street Ltd

Baggott Church Street Ltd
Church Street
Stow-on-the-Wold
Gloucestershire
GL54 1BB
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2008
Members of
View Full Details