Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton
Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton
Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton
Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton
Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton
Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton

Fine William IV Mahogany and Satinwood Library/Writing Table. Williams and Gibton

1835 Ireland

Offered by Walton House Antiques

£18,000 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
This Magnificent table made by William and Gibton. Stamped in the drawer 'Williams and Gibton 14116". The highly successful Dublin firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton whose furniture was often stamped with a series of numbers and sometimes also labelled, was formed in 1812. Its history can be traced to the latter part of the 18th century when John Mack established a cabinet making business in Abbey street, Dublin. About 1801 Mack was joined by William Gibton and in 1806 Mack and Gibton received the ultimate accolade being appointed "Upholsterers and cabinet makers to his majesty, his excellency the Lord Lieutenant and his majesty board of works" Robert Gibton died in 1812 and was succeeded by his son William Gibton (1789-1842) At the same time a former apprentice Zachariah Williams who had married Robert Gibtons daughter joined the management, thus creating the new partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton. Under this name the firm enjoyed unparalleled success retaining its royal warrant for many years supplying and restoring furniture for some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four courts, War office, Barrack office, Dublin centre, Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Vice regal lodge. At the same time the firm undertook commissions for several major Irish country houses Ballynegal, co Westneath. Oakley Park, co Meath and Stroketown, co Roscommon. Following the death of John Mack in 1829 the firm continued to trade under the names of the surviving partners Williams and Gibton. In 1844, two years after the death of William Gibton it again changed name to William and Sons finally ceasing business in 1852.

Height 30" 76cm
Width 59" 150cm
Depth 32" 81cm

All of the items that we advertise for sale have been as accurately described as possible and are in excellent condition, unless otherwise stated. Please note that we are also able to arrange a full shipping service for our customers. We look forward to being of service.

WH6333
Stamped in the drawer 'Williams and Gibton 14116"
Medium
Mahogany and Satinwood
Signed/Inscribed
Stamped in the drawer 'Williams and Gibton 14116"
Walton House Antiques

Walton House Antiques
The Walton Building
The Square
Mere
Wiltshire
BA12 6DL
England

+44 (0) 1747 860050
+44 (0)7900 430658
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2012
Members of
View Full Details