Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776
Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776
Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776
Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776
Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776

FRANKENTHAL PORCELAIN FACTORY (worked 1755-1799)

Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish with Carl Theodor Mark for 1776

1776 Germany

Offered by RMJ Antiques

Sold
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
A Frankenthal Porcelain Leaf Dish, decorated in green, orange, blue and purple with short stripes of hatching within gilt line borders, crowned CT monogram and 76 in underglaze blue, 22cm long

This unusual style of decoration influenced by contemporary textiles is more associated with the wares of the Nymphenburg factory at this period, but also sometimes on Frankenthal and Vienna pieces. -

In 1755 Karl Hannong established the Frankenthal Porcelain Factory (German: Porzellanmanufaktur Frankenthal) in Frankenthal in the Rhineland-Palatinate. The factory operated between 1755 and 1799. Hannong had been a manufacturer of faience porcelain in Strasbourg but when Louis XVI’s declared a state monopoly on porcelain in favour of the Sèvres factory and closed down all other factories, Hannong transferred his business to Frankenthal and took his Strasbourg workforce with him. In 1757 Hannong brought in more craftsmen from Meissen. Upon his death, the business was left to his sons. However, they quarrelled over the "arcanum" (the formula of the paste) to such an extent that their disagreements had a damaging effect on the business. By 1761 the brothers found it impossible to repay their debts and the factory was sold in 1762 to the Elector Carl Theodor in 1762 (hence the mark CT mark beneath the Electoral crown). The factory continued in production until the Napoleonic Wars brought an end to the business. Frankenthal was occupied in 1795 by the French, who declared the factory to be ‘French National Property’. After a period of limited production, the factory finally closed in 1800.
Some minor chipping to edges
From the collection of a North-East English businessman who collected during the inter-war period,at a time when continental ceramics were out of favour
Dimensions
Height 3.80 cm (1.50 inches)
Width 21.90 cm (8.62 inches)
Depth 19.20 cm (7.56 inches)
Signed/Inscribed
Coronet mark with CT below and the date mark 76 in underglaze blue
RMJ Antiques

RMJ Antiques
Spitfire Way
Sherburn in Elmet
Leeds
LS25 6NW

+44 (0)1977 689888
+44 (0)7889 537927
Favourite Dealer
Request Dealer Alerts
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2012
Members of
View Full Details