Circa 1730, George II walnut bureau bookcase with later Victorian alterations. The double dome top has a classic shaped cornice, above two doors with hand bevelled edge mirrors surrounded by a half round beading. The doors have a central beading which matches this bezel, and two brass escutcheons with one functioning as a lock. The doors open to reveal a well fitted interior with various pigeon holes. The carcass of the bookcase top is in oak. The main bureau itself has a large crossbanded flap and matching veneers in the centre, and a large cast brass escutcheon. Inside is a slide with a well in the centre, pigeon holes, various shaped drawers with cast brass axe head drops, a centre door with a raised arch panel similar to the outside doors, and a leather writing surface. Outside is a long dummy crossbanded drawer which contains the well on the inside. Below this are two short over two long graduating drawers with crossbanding and matching walnut veneers, and cast brass handles with stylish back plates. All standing on four walnut bracket feet. The piece is in three parts, sturdy, and functional with excellent colour and condition. The handles and feet have been changed at a later time.
Size 207cm high x 103cm wide x 60cm deep.