A fine George III mahogany music Canterbury of rectangular galleried form retaining an excellent original colour & patina. The four turned shaped, tapering and ringed corner pillars joined by a square section reeded top rail, divided into three sections by two removable solid mahogany scallop topped dividers, with mahogany turned tapering spindles around the circumference. Below a drawer with brass lion’s head knob handles and a bone lock escutcheon, standing on ring turned legs terminating in brass cap castors. Canterbury’s were originally designed to hold sheet music, today there main use would be a magazine or book rack, this particular piece retains a very good original colour & patina
Excellent. Possible minor old restorations, cleaning & waxing.
From a private residence in London
English, George III, circa 1805