To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "George IV Satin Birch Amaranth Marquetry and Parcel-Gilt Writing Table"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
A William IV satin birch amaranth marquetry and parcel-gilt writing table, possibly by Morel & Seddon. The rectangular top inset with later green tooled leather above a frieze inlaid with rosettes and stylised husks and fitted with a mahogany-lined drawer, on trestle supports carved with foliate scrolls and shells, on rectangular rests and foliate scrolled feet raised on casters.
Morel & Seddon: The partnership of Nicholas Morel and George Seddon came into being in 1827, when George IV awarded Morel the monumental task of refurbishing the apartments at Windsor Castle. Nicholas Morel had formerly worked for the Prince of Wales, later George IV, on his residences at Carlton House and the Brighton Pavilion and George Seddon’s heritage was the large and established cabinet makers Seddon and Sons of Aldersgate Street. Having been given the Windsor Castle commission, which was worth almost £200,000, Morel’s partner of choice was Seddon, whose expertise was coupled with a large workforce, as they were noted as the largest cabinet makers in London in the 18th Century, and thus had the capacity to process large orders. Hugh Roberts book, For the King’s Pleasure (Royal Collection Enterprises, 2001) illustrates many of the pieces made for the commission, and concordances may be noted between these and our Writing Table. The firm seemed to have had the Crown as their main clients, with further work being carried out for William IV, although a large commission was carried out for the Marquess of Stafford in 1830. Morel’s name disappears from the records in 1831, and the company of G & T Seddon, although awarded the Royal Warrant in 1832, had great difficulty in extracting the £200,000 from the Crown for the Windsor commission, which led to a near bankruptcy in 1840. The firm eventually closed in 1868.
|Height||75.00 cm||(29.53 inches)|
|Width||86.50 cm||(34.06 inches)|
|Depth||50.00 cm||(19.69 inches)|
Thomas Coulborn & Sons
64 Birmingham Road
Please telephone for weekend and evening opening