Green stained pine box with sliding lid and printed paper label opens to a partitioned interior, containing coloured, composite balls in red, yellow, green, purple, white and blue. The square playing board, with a hexagonal shape of vacant holes, allows for a limitless variety of patterns to be created using the coloured balls. Included is an 11 page printed booklet bearing the trademark of the Keller Brothers, the ‘Diamant’ and suggestion of patterns. Inside the lid is a printed label advertising the company’s other products. Corners bound with trefoil shaped brass clips.
German, circa 1890 - 1910
Height 2” (5.5cm) Width 8.5” (21.5cm) Depth 8.5” (21.5cm)
Stock No. 9766
The Keller Brothers were game and toy makers who set up business in the German town of Rudolstadt in direct competition with the famous toy manufacturer, Richter. Having worked for Richter in his stone factory in the 1880’s, the brothers were well equipped to start their own business in 1890. With their own more elaborate version of Righter’s composite building blocks and a variety of other creative toys, they remained in competition with Richter for at least 20 years. Shortly after setting up business, they saw a gap in the market for construction toys containing both metal and stone and subsequently produced a highly popular bridge construction set that used both materials. This bridge won the brothers a Gold medal in London in 1892. Richter, a far more astute businessman, was able to buy the brothers’ business from them in 1910, with at least one of them continuing to work within the company.