To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Kensington, International Exhibition, 1862"
|If you do NOT want to receive newsletters from us regarding the antiques trade, please UNCHECK this box.|
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The Catalogue of the Exhibition has the following entry- 245. MUSEUM OF PRACTICAL GEOLOGY, Jermyn, Street.
Model of Holmbush Mine, constructed by T. B. Jordan, Clapham.
Holmbush Mine, lies just north of the village of Kelly Bray, to the northwest of Kit Hill in the Callington Mining District of East Cornwall. The mine was known to have been at work from at least 1845 and produced lead and silver as well as copper ore.
The Museum of Practical Geology was established in 1837 at a building in Craig's Court, Whitehall, at the suggestion of Henry De la Beche first Director General of the Geological Survey. The museum's library was founded by de la Beche in 1843, mainly by donation from his own library.
Its name reflects the nature of the collections. It housed a large number of specimens of building stones collected by the Commissioners appointed to find the most suitable stone for the new Houses of Parliament, as well as collections of cements, tiles, pottery and other man-made goods from natural stone materials. The collections and the Geological Survey soon outgrew Craig's Court and a new Museum, the Museum of Practical Geology, was opened by Prince Albert in Jermyn Street, with a grand ceremony on 12th May 1851.
The entrance was by all accounts very gloomy, and it led via stairs to the galleries with their neatly stacked shelves of rocks, minerals, ores, gems, fossils and economic exhibits. The museum also had a tiered lecture theatre reputedly capable of holding as many as six hundred people, where regular "penny lectures" were given. The museum had a long life, eventually being replaced by the Geological Museum in Exhibition Road in 1935, and is now part of the Natural History Museum.