Lawrenny
Lawrenny

JOHN PIPER CH (1903-1992)

Lawrenny

1959 United Kingdom

Offered by Martyn Gregory Gallery

Price Upon Request
Request Information Call Dealer
Favourite Item
The subject is the village of Lawrenny in Pembrokeshire; the parish church of St Caradoc, with its ‘elegant square embattled tower’, can be seen to the left of centre. Piper was a frequent visitor to Wales, before, during and after the war; he and his wife Myfanwy had a traditional Welsh cottage near Fishguard. In the late 1950s (when this painting was executed) Piper was designing stained glass windows for Coventry Cathedral and Oundle College, a technique which may be reflected in the enclosed ‘compartments’ and strong verticals of this composition. In 2014 a major collection of Piper’s Welsh pictures was acquired by the National Museum of Wales.
Piccadilly Gallery, 16a Cork Street, London;
Col. F. Towill, 27 May 1960; by descent to the present owner
Dimensions
Height 13.50 inch (34.29 cm)
Width 21.50 inch (54.61 cm)
Medium
Pencil, watercolour and bodycolour
Signed/Inscribed
Signed ‘John Piper’, and inscribed ‘Lawrenny 1.1.59’
Martyn Gregory Gallery

Martyn Gregory Gallery
34 Bury Street
St James's
London
SW1Y 6AU
England

Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member Since 2006
Members of
View Full Details