To send a message simply fill out the form below.
Enquiry from Online Galleries regarding "Longcase clock"
To send this page to a friend, fill out the form below..
Look at what I found on the Online Galleries website!
The hood, originally “lift -up” but now “slide -forward”, has never been cut for a front door. The marquetry extends around the dial, to the horizontal panel at the top and around the convex mould immediately below it. The sides of the hood are glazed and veneered in walnut.
The trunk door has an oval glazed aperture to the centre with a half-round mould to its border. It is decorated with excellent “ bird and flower” marquetry of a good rich colour . The sides of the trunk are panelled and gently bowed, always an attractive feature. The base features a vase with foliate and floral marquetry around it. It is surrounded by boxwood stringing and a band of well figured walnut and rests on a single tier walnut base. One of the iron door hinges is an old replacement. The case bears a restorers label to the inside of the trunk door. “D.H.Sidolph, 12a Greville Place, St John’s Wood, N.W.3. 1947.
The 11" square dial has well executed “Flower & cherub” spandrels. The matted centre has ringing to the winding holes, the date aperture and the centre of the seconds ring. Windmills signature is at the bottom of the chapter ring which has half hour marks and quartering to the inner edge.
The eight day movement has five latched pillars and internal count-wheel strike with the count-wheel being placed on the inner aspect of the great-wheel.
A very similar, but three train longcase clock is illustrated in Neales book on Joseph and Thomas Windmills, plate V1 and figures 2-21 to 2-24.
Height 6' 9".
Joseph Windmills, an eminent maker, became a Free Brother of the Clockmakers Company in July 1671, by which time he already had a journeyman. He took on several apprentices, including his son Thomas. He started business at St Martins- Le- Grand but by 1687 had moved to Mark Lane End, Tower Street. He was made an Assistant of the Company in 1691 and Warden some 8 years later. In 1702 he became the Master. By 1714 he had taken his son into partnership and in 1720 he was still attending the Clockmakers Company.
|Height||6.00 inch||(15.24 cm)|